+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY LED wavelengths and total wattage

Re: DIY LED wavelengths and total wattage

Might work, but I can DIY exactly what I need for half that price. I'm going to convert an SM100 style scubber, so I need something more rectangular.

I didn't see an answer to what lens might be utilized for the 3w leds? I'm assuming none since it's only 4-6" from the screen.
    LOVE these results. I'm using six 23 watt 2700k to filter my 200 gallon according to feeding habits. But this LED recommendation would greatly reduce my watts and need to replace bulbs.
    300g system, SPS, Zoas, Algae Filter only

Banned

http://www.rapidled.com/servlet/the-172 ... Red/Detail
    No secondary lenses are available for this product (yet)
    So, answer is, no optics since they don't make any so far that fit.

Banned

I asked the horticulture guy about why there's no 640 LED and brought up the issue about the peaks and he pretty much scoffed at it, said there's a lot of misinformation out there. I don't know if they made the 630s and 660s because that's all they could 'hit' or because that's exactly what the horticulture industry demanded. All I know is that 630s grow plants a heck of a lot better than 660s so I don't think trying to hit 640 instead is going to make a hill of beans of difference, based on the conversations him and I have had.

I just bought some 660's from this ebay store and 120 degree lenses that I believe can be made to fit or they may not need any modification. Here is the link. http://www.ebay.com/sch/ledtoplights/m. ... ksid=p3984 anyway he has great prices, I got everything but the heat sink which I got at rapidled.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

I would love to see build pics and first few weeks results.

I will post some pics. I should have the parts middle of this coming week and hope to build it next weekend. Its a horizontal type modified from an Eclipse hood filter that I am going to swap first. Its now powered by a CFL 23W. Its a 10G Nano with a 2.75x6.75 screen. I am going to start here first as this one only grows brown algae. It still keeps my nitrate between just detectable to under 5PPM and the phosphates to zero-ish but, I think I can do better.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace25
    Screen is the standard 13.5"x10.5". Yes, 3w LEDs run at 750mA. I am thinking on a screen as big as yours, 12 per side is going to be needed.
    how far are the net

thanks man, I appreciate your response

I have thought about building a turf scrubber for a while now but have been neglecting my husbandry for too long. But on topic I went to mouser and found a really interesting LED some might think is pretty cool. http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...luW%252bELQ%3d Now dont get me wrong its 16 bucks but its 4x 2.5 watt 660nm led dies in one package on a star. The other cool thing is that it's naturally (no optics) a 95º beam pattern. Using either a driver from rapid or steves you could do 2 of these on each side of a 13"x20" screen I would imagine. You can drive them up to 1200ma but at 1000ma it is 2.3W of actuall light output use the driver from rapid and you can go to 1050ma; one driver to rule them all :lol: Well that will be true if my math is right. 11.4Vf at 1000ma so if the driver can put out 48v at 1050ma should be fine to run 4 of them 11.4V*4=45.6? But a dual from steves would do the same but probably easier on it as it can do 2*25VDC on each channel. Here is the data sheet on the LED http://www.ledengin.com/files/produc...LZ4-00R200.pdf

Banned

Since those are 10w LEDs you are correct, you can only run 4 of them per meanwell driver. Meanwell driver = 48w, 4x 10w is all you will get out of it, you could try and squeeze 5 out but you will reduce the overall output to each LED slightly. That would probably be a good thing for the LEDs, but hard on the driver and you would probably need cooling on the driver as well pushing it that hard. You would also need some serious cooling for the LEDs because the heat generated at the point of contact is going to be 4x as much heat to dissipate from a small area. I am sure they would work if designed correctly, but to me it seems like too much work trying to cool them if run at full power, or even 1/2 power. I have tried to "cheat" in the past, run LEDs in series in order to put more on 1 driver than is recommended, just ended up blowing up the driver in under 30 days doing that.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information