+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: combining iron and two part dosing

combining iron and two part dosing

Is it okay to combine Kent's Iron and Manganese with any of the BRS two part liquids for automatic dosing? Alk (Sodium Carbonate), Calc (Calcium Chloride) or Magnesium (Magnesium Sulfate + Magnesium Chloride)?

Re: combining iron and two part dosing

You're a genius if this works. Why didn't I think of that...

Fauna Marin suggests adding trace metals to the Calcium Chloride solution. I'll try that.

http://faunamarindirect.com/downloads/B ... Manual.pdf

Administrator

You'll have to check to see if it precipitates out.

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica
    You'll have to check to see if it precipitates out.
    Dammit. Why didn't I think of that. The BRS stuff is at near pcipitation already in it's current solution. Maybe there's headroom for some iron and a lil manganese too.

Well I'll test it, making a fresh batch of CaCl solution tonight. Any recommendations on concentration?

Also, I'm getting a cal reactor in a week. Could iron be added to the slurry? Or possible enough iron in the media?

If your running a calcium reactor, there is no need to worry about 2 part much and the excess CO2 from reactor initially will be more than enough nutrients.

Quote Originally Posted by iggy
    If your running a calcium reactor, there is no need to worry about 2 part much and the excess CO2 from reactor initially will be more than enough nutrients.
    From my reading it takes a while to dial in a Ca reactor, and will necessitate dosing till that happens. I also anticipate my colonies to outgrow the capacity of my Ca reactor sooner than later.

As for the CO2, I'm counting on the scrubber to help with that so I don't have to dose kalk.

I will have to find a way to get Iron into the system consistently for the scrubber. I'm almost certain coral skeleton won't have much, but I'll look that up before I do any dosing.

Fortunately Ca reactor slurry has little to none in the way of nutrients, maybe trace phosphates. Else, I don't think people would use it.

Still haven't mixed any CaCl up, I'll do that today, and post.

I had good results with a Precision Marine Calcium reactor. Dialing in should take 1-2 weeks with good equipment. I highly recommend kalk with it as SPS will respond well to high pH

I never used pH controller, just high quality needle valve.

If you are determined to add iron, try and find a Eheim Liquidoser. It can add 1.8 ml of any solution. It is the same as the Eheim autofeeders but has a special liquid attachment.

I already dose two-part (actually three, including the magnesium) from Bulk Reef Supply automatically. So, I was wondering if I could just add iron to one of the solutions that I already dose.

What concentration of iron is recommended to maintain?

Quote Originally Posted by MorganAtlanta
    I already dose two-part (actually three, including the magnesium) from Bulk Reef Supply automatically. So, I was wondering if I could just add iron to one of the solutions that I already dose.

What concentration of iron is recommended to maintain
    Were tryo g to determine both of those questions still. There is a concern that adding chelated Iron might cause a percipitation event in either of the two BRS solutions. But I as yet have not tested this, I also feel there is some headroom left before any precipitate occurs, additionally. The iron/manganese is already in solution so should not change the saturation level much of either the CaCl or Bi/Carbonate unless you're considering adding it to the volume of water pre mixed. I was intending to add it post mix.

As for the amount: following the instructions and not doing what SM did is advisable. As yet we don't have a target concentration to maintain for optimal scrubbing. My goal is to just make sure iron is not a limiting factor.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information