+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Adeys Patent

Re: Adeys Patent

Quote Originally Posted by Ace25
    I beg to differ... pumps need replacing on skimmers occasionally and the new fancy "meshwheel and pinwheel" impellers need replacing on skimmers at least once a year on my bubble magus NAC7 (they recommend every 6 months). I paid $300 for the skimmer and I know it couldn't have cost more than $20 to make, including the pump. Replacement impeller alone cost $25 for a $1 part. So besides the HUGE profit they make at the point of sale, they also make probably 5x the cost of the skimmer during its lifespan on replacement parts for it.

If a main stream Mfg made a scrubber, I would bet they would charge $20 for a replacement screen that is "pre-roughed up" and recommend replacing the screen every 6 months.
    You need pumps for algae scrubbers as well... Screens could be replaced. You can mark up a scrubber the same way. Lights, bulbs. All more than the occasional pump. (especially on bulbs)

I have had my skimmer for over 2 years with 0 extra parts needed.. By the time I need a new pump I'm going to want a new skimmer any how.. It's not like they break that often... (at least not my Super Reef Octopus)

Banned

I am using my return pump/overflow for my ATS, it is an Eheim 1262, running strong for over 5 years non-stop without a single issue... my skimmer on the other hand, has needed the Atman pump replaced once and the impeller replaced twice, so $100 worth of parts in 2 years I have had it on top of the $300 it cost new. Since I use LED lights on the scrubber, no bulb replacement cost for me for a long time hopefully. Screen cost me 33cents once a year from my local crafts store. The ATS has been far cheaper to operate than any skimmer I have owned. Even adding the LEDs to the initial cost, I am $100 total into the ATS, and $400 into the skimmer in 2 years time. Just talking cost here, not trying to start a skimmer/ATS debate on effectiveness. LOL. I run both.

I have a friend who bought a Super Reef Octopus skimmer for his 300G and he has had to replace his pump at least once a year (cheap/junk pumps they use that cause surges inside the skimmer, making them not work good). It was like pulling teeth to get Reef Octopus to honor their warranty, they wanted 10 different videos of the pump not working, then a month turn around for a replacement pump (had to mail it in, give them weeks to test it, determine it bad, and send a new one) so the skimmer is offline for an entire month while this is taking place during the warranty period. I can see higher quality pumps not needing as much maintenance but the cheaper skimmers like Bubble Magus and Reef Octopus have cheap pumps that come with them unfortunately and more often than not they do have issues within a year or two. I would say your in the minority if you have had zero issues, or you haven't looked closely at your skimmer to see if it is "surging/pulsing". Normally the bubbles move up smoothly, but when the pumps start to fail, the bubbles pulse, move up, stop, move up, stop, which makes its efficiency go way down.

Found this while doin some image googling on diy CO2 scrubbers. Had Adey's name so am posting it here.
    http://www.3reef.com/forums/refugium/lo ... 78474.html

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica
    The current sm100 falls under copyright, trademark, and trade dress protection. I have not really pursued mfg because I've been concentrating on the new nano version, which will of course be much smaller and thus easier to mfg.
    Whose copyright, trademark, and trade dress protection does does the SM100 fall under? And what is Trade Dress Protection???

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo
    what is Trade Dress Protection???

Trade dress is a legal term of art that generally refers to characteristics of the visual appearance of a product or its packaging (or even the design of a building) that signify the source of the product to consumers. Trade dress is a form of intellectual property

Administrator

Mine. New scrubber versions will also have utility patent pending.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information