+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: New sizing guidelines

Hi guys, I'm new here and definitely i want to build an ATS here. I've been battling high nitrates for so long that's not even funny but I want to keep my fish and corals well fed. What if I want to feed 4 cubes and a sheet of nori every day? How wide and how long would I have to build my ATS? And what'd be the wattage i'd need to light the sheet?

Thanks for your help guys!!

Quote Originally Posted by Midway View Post
    Hi guys, I'm new here and definitely i want to build an ATS here. I've been battling high nitrates for so long that's not even funny but I want to keep my fish and corals well fed. What if I want to feed 4 cubes and a sheet of nori every day? How wide and how long would I have to build my ATS? And what'd be the wattage i'd need to light the sheet?

Thanks for your help guys!!
    That would be around 8 cubes....

2 sided 10" x 10" with 100 watts CFL

Thanks very much for the reply. Well i don't give them 2 nori sheets everyday, but i'm counting the food I give to my eel, which i give him 2 or 3 peices of squid or shirmp plus i dose some micro algea in the tank no and then. So yes thanks for the advice i think 10" X 10" with 100 cfl lights would do the trick. I'm excited to give this a try to see if my nitrates come down to acceptable levels.

based on these guidelines, and just based on the screens size, what is a santamonica 100 rated for food wise?

Administrator
    10 cubes

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
    Flow is 24 hours, and is at least 35 gph per inch of width of screen [60 lph per cm], EVEN IF one sided or horizontal.
    I'm just trying to design my first ats. It seems from this statement, I would need a smaller pump if I design for a long, thin screen, rather than a short, wide screen. Is that right?

Also, I've heard about 3D ats. Are there further guidelines around this?

Administrator
    Welcome.

Correct.

3D just requires a box for the growth to get thick in.

Hi,
    just worked out the size for a screen lighting from 2 sides for feeding 2 cubes per day and got the numbers 3"x8" with 105 gph min flow and 12w (actual) for 18h per day, or 24w each side for the wattage technique ?. Just wanted to know if anyone could tell me if this is correct please.

Administrator
    Welcome from UK.

Yes 12w each side minimum, 24w each side high. Flow is correct if you are hanging it vertically like a ladder.

Thank you for your speedy reply and confirming that for me i can start getting this underway.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information