+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: New sizing guidelines

Banned
    Minimum is 12 total watts per 12 sq in, so you could go 12w on each side of a 24 sq in screen, but 24 per side would be better. If all that light is "captured" by the screen, then you can go 1/2 time on the photoperiod (9 on). If not, you can probably still reduce it until you get green instead of yellow (which is too much light per nutrient delivered).

Acrylic shields will not block light significantly enough to impact growth. Acrylic is clearer than glass so you're good to go there.

Bio-load and stocking calcs have no meaning for sizing a scrubber. Only feeding as the input.

I would only oversize the screen by 50% max and then feed at that level. As you add fish, feed the same amount. Marine fish can go 3 days without food so feeding them less daily will do just fine, and when your quantity of fish increases to the point where you wish to feed more, then you can add to the scrubber. This will likely be months or possibly a year or so down the road as you stock your tank and your fish grow. Also you might be able to just extend the photoperiod a bit (if you're running 9 on) to compensate for additional feeding, but this may only work to a certain point.

As for your original problem, just drape Saran Wrap over the tube and extend it about 1" down on either side of the screen, and all your spray problems will disappear. You can also drape the entire screen in saran wrap and do away with the acrylic shield completely.

Banned
    Um, kerry, that's this thread LOL

Thats the link to this thread, I have read in fact I started with the same sized screen as mentioned in the summary. I just want clarification, and also I have other questions than just screen size. I have been scrubbing for like 2 weeks, I am the guy that always does things wrong the first time, so I want to make sure I get it right the second time and possibly correct my current scrubber issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
    Um, kerry, that's this thread LOL
    This is the FIFTH Monday in a row, I cant wait until its &^%^%* Friday!!!!!! LOL, my bad. Sorry guys. Good catch.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

Thanks Floyd, I do believe you answered my questions. I saw another thread where a guy had saran wrap on his scrubber but I wasnt sure that was an approved way of fixing the bubble problem.

In a round about way I think you also gave me a pointer to reduce my lighting to get some better growth. I feed pretty light currently, and my algae over 7 days is more of a slimy kind of stuff of various colors (ive got hair in my sump now in small amounts). But between bulbs being about 3 months old, restricitng flow, and not enough watts per each side of the screen I had a few factors hindering growth. I think this week I will feed slightly more and reduce lighting and see what happens.

I think when I do my final calculation on my screen I will do some bulb shopping and find out where that price jump is!

Banned
    Also you can read through the latest iteration of the Basics here http://algaescrubber.net/forums/show...cs-The-Summary (written by yours truly). Go to the Feb 17th post for the current guidelines. Everything there should really be followed, the slot straightness and correct width, screen roughness, flow, don't cinch zip ties down hard (pinches the slot), light temp, etc. Review that and see if anything pops out at you.

What is the sm 100 rated for under these guidelines? Still roughly 10 cubes?

Not sure the screen size right off but its 1 cube per 12" of screen.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

Administrator
    10 cubes when growing 3D

if i build a uas in the sump lighted on one side. a reflector on the the other side. does that count as a one sided screen or a two sided screen?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information