+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Water Changes

Water Changes

I am about 7 months into running my algae scrubber. Water parameters are solid and everything is healthy. I haven’t done a water change in 7 months either and all I do is feed heavy and drip kalk. My only corals right now are zoanthids, mushrooms, GSP, and a couple lethers. I would like to try some LPS and I am wondering if I should be doing some sort of water changes periodically? I know there is a lot of debate on water change frequency but from what I can tell a lot of the debate seams to be based on old habits. As a lot of people will agree, a scrubber only system is a real game changer and a lot of old rules are now being broken such as stocking levels, feeding amounts, and water changes. Everything in my tank looks good even though I am really pushing conventional logic. I suspect I am just fine and I can probably run a very long time without water changes and I think that is what I will continue to do. I just feel like this is kind of a gray area and that I am kind of walking into unknown territory. I guess what I am looking for is to see how many other are doing the same thing?

Re: Water Changes

I am with you. I set-up a scrubber only 40G breeder the weekend before Fathers day 2011. This is the first from day one scrubber I have done. Never have had the water changed yet. I do add a little iodine, strontium, manganese, and iron weekly/daily as per instructions. I guess a water change would only be in order to replenish elements that are lacking which would be in the salt mix. This tank is scrubber only as all of them are now. Its amazing!!! My SW tanks are easier to maintain them my FW. Just a few weeks ago I put an ATS single screen on my 150G FW Dempsey tank, although it was a small screen I went from two weekly water changes to one every two weeks!!! Huge difference!!! As of yesterday I now have a dual screen for it built and running. Here is the thread for anyone interested. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1561 . I read that some people are 100% for the scrubber and some are on board with it but still have problems and the others that say its the devils child. So far for ME!! The scrubber has turned my roller coaster SW experience into a wonderful experience FULL TIME!!!! Anyway, for the beginner to average SW person I say the scrubber is hands down the best development yet!!! It makes SW user friendly for just about anyone able to build one or afford a built unit. Even if you have to buy one the savings in live stock is worth it OMHO!!!! So yes, if you have a scrubber venture into the unknown as many and I have done with SW or FW and experience the success many have already enjoyed.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

Administrator

I guess a water change would only be in order to replenish elements that are lacking which would be in the salt mix.
    These are supplied by the algae, and by the food you feed.

Since you have softies only, just make a simple change: stop all water changes, and start adding lps one by one.

Kewl thanks for the advice, I do not plan on any water changes. I just added a frog spawn on Sunday.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information