+ Reply to Thread

Thread: please define some words for me

please define some words for me

can someone please give me some simple,easy and short definitions of this:

DOC?
    organics?
    inorganics?
    TOC?

I have an idea of what they are as I have been reefing for a LONG time now,,but I never had to get that technical...

Banned

Re: please define some words for me

TOC: A measure for the total organically bound carbon

DOC: Dissolved organic share of TOC

Organics: consists of complex metabolic compounds including phenols, organic acids, proteins, fats, carbohydrates, and hormones. The slime you see coming off a coral when it is moved, that is organics.

Inorganics: ammonia, CO2, carbonates, phosphates, compounds that are inanimate and non-biological in nature.

All organic compounds MUST contain carbon and the vast majority also contain hydrogen, depending on who's definition you go by, however carbon is the given. So things like ammonia NH3 and nitrate NO3 are inorganic compounds.
    Alcohol, sugars, amino acids etc all contain carbon and hydrogen and so are classed as organic, hence vodka dosing of reef tanks is dosing organic carbon.
    Most living things can only extract carbon from organic sources, with the exception of the primary producers such as phytoplankton which use inorganic carbon co2 (no hydrogen atom) dissolved in water for their growth.

All of the carbon in every living thing originated from these primary producers and without these little fellas life on earth could not exist as there would be no way to get the carbon it needs.

TOC is the total amount or organically bound carbon and the dissolved element is the percentage that will pass through a certain size molecular filter. DOC is by far the largest percentage of all carbon, 99%?

Administrator

Organics: Don't forget food, pellets, flakes, frozen cubes, oyster feast, waste, etc.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information