+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Licensing ideas for the new scrubber in 2012

Re: Licensing ideas

A patent and a copyright are only as good as your pocket is deep. They will keep honest people honest. I hate to say it, if someone big wants to steal your idea, then you have to take them to court and that can be costly and time consuming.

A good friend of mine had a patent and a copyright on an item, that he manufactured in his own factory. He was doing very well with it and his business was growing. Started out regionally and was slowly growing nationally. This was back in the 80's, so no Walmart or Chinese to contend with. He attached the attention of Disney. Started selling some of his products to them. Increased production, was starting to make some real money. All of the sudden he discovered someone in the State of Washington, was copying is product, exactly. They were selling to Disney on the west coast, started selling to them after he did. Actually went into business after his Disney contract date, wonder where they got the idea or how bank rolled them.

He went after them. Had to hire a patent and copyright attorney in the Washington area. In the 80's his up front cost was $10K, just to start the case. It didn't take very long before he ran out of $$$. Which basically bankrupted his company. The other company, the last he checked they were still in business, still making his product, in China now and now selling to Disney world wide. Oh and the Chinese don't care about patents and copyrights, they just go ahead and produce the product and sell around you. They even will shut you out of your factory and start producing for your competition. I know of two companies in my industry, that this has happened to.

If it was me, I would go with the patent/copyright process. But be ready to have to make a decision on what you are going to do if someone tries to steal your idea. Copyrights are easy to get, anybody can get one. It is my understanding that for a Patent you pretty well have to hire an attorney. I would ask them about protecting your patent/copyright.

Kent

Administrator

Good points... been working on them for the last year.

Banned

Dont forget about us poor people when ur company takes off... Looking for a job here.. .

Administrator

You are on the list

Administrator

Current idea is to give out ID numbers for each new scrubber (new version which is not posted yet). To get an ID, you would just email a request, supplying some basic info. If you build one for someone else (as a reseller), you would get the ID for them. Then, when you or they need support, you post the ID number (or you could have the ID's in a signature), which of course would match the username, location, etc. This would help you organize your customers, and help you spot when customers in your area were getting scrubbers from someone besides you.

And of course, all scrubber resellers would get advance notice of new designs before they were posted/available.

Banned

So are you coming up with the design that will be built, or just the concept?

Maybe I missed it, but what's the eta on rolling out this idea? I'm intrigued to say the least!

Administrator

The concept came up in April, and I'm now coming up with designs. I'll be posting the first diy versions probably in Jan or Feb. It will be the first time people with nano's can easily make a scrubber.

Banned

What I meant was, is your patent release going to unveil the concept, and then we can come up with our designs based on that concept under the patent licensing agreement, or are you also coming up with the design that must be followed, etc...

Administrator

You can come up with your own embodiments.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information