+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Licensing ideas for the new scrubber in 2012

Administrator

Re: Licensing ideas

How about this for another reason to get an ID number: A guaranteed response to questions, either here or on other forums.

Administrator

Re: Licensing ideas for the new scrubber in 2012

Looks like it might work like this:

If you DIY using my plans, the license for the first two units will be free. Each unit after that will be $5.

If you buy manufactured units from me, you'll get a free license with every one.

If you resell units to people at reef clubs etc, you can charge whatever you want.

If you want to sell units on discussion forums, you can get a "forum license" for each site (like RC, etc) for $5 per forum per month. Sell as many as you want on the forum for no extra forum charge. Of course if you do a banner ad or sponsorship of a forum, that is between you and them.

Intriguing idea. I definitely think SM deserves some kind of monetary compensation for his designs. $5 is a value no-one should scoff at. Price of one cheap fish.

I'd go for some kind of license to produce and sell to my local reef club...but my reef club also has a forum so would I pay $5 per unit and a $5 per month fee?

Banned

Oh, I see now. So you're saying that in order for someone to market your product on a forum, they would need to get a license to market on that particular forum? Is the idea that this would make sure that people who were buying them were buying only from people who were 'licensed'?

Administrator

The idea is to let consumers know what they are getting. If they buy from me, they should know, but if they buy from someone else, or if they have someone build it, they should still know that the product at least follows some form of design/function criteria. As you can see with the current pipe/screen versions, people can build things that range from amazing to terrible.

So for the local club forum, yes the idea was $5 for promoting it online on that forum, and $5 per unit built. You of course could charge whatever you want for the unit, and for any service/repairs thereafter.

Warranty remains unsolved, however. From me, it will probably be a 1-year warranty. But from another builder, I would say that each builder would decide for themselves if/how they would do it.

Banned

I would think that a warranty issue could only be addressed by the manufacturer. Not your problem IMO. Or are you thinking about mandating that anyone who buys a license also warranties the product? Probably not a bad idea, would promote proper construction techniques so that scrubbers don't get made cheaply. I think that would be hard to 'enforce' though.

Administrator

Current idea:

DIY: 2 for free; $5 each thereafter. Any design. If sold to someone else, must be marked as "Built by Brand X under license by SMF". Warranty by you.

RESELL: Manufactured units. Quantity discount from me. Will already be marked as "Santa Monica Filtration" brand. Resell anywhere at any price, except no-sell countries. Warrany by me.

FORUM: $5 per month per forum. Any design. Any quantity. DIY or resell.

MFG: Exclusive or non-exclusive manufacturing and sales license, per design, per country; Licensee must pay for IP filing in local country. Assignments available too. Warranty by licensee.

Banned

expand more on the MFG part, not quite following. I plan to manufacture, how does this affect me?

Administrator

You would be DIY.

Mfg involves overseas production/distro, and local prosecution of IP in the mfg countries.

Banned

Hey brian just curious... Everyone here wants to see you succeed.. but wont other people just build them and not tell u?. How does that work.. pls excuse my ignorance.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information