+ Reply to Thread

Thread: compact scrubber

compact scrubber

Hello,
    I'm back!
    ATS not bothering me!
    I have an aidea. Look on the scheme - there is my concept for new scrubber.

What do You think about it?

Banned

Re: compact scrubber

Neat design. Certainly thinking outside the box with that design. I like it!

I would put LEDs out the outside of the cylinder as well (and I doubt LED tape is going to work, but you never know until you try), and also put a shell that is reflective on the inside over the entire cylinder to contain the light inside the scrubber. I don't think the spray bar idea would quite cut it. I would try and make a circle out of PVC (heat it in an oven and carefully bend it), connected the circle with a T nad 90 degree barb fitting to connect the hose from the pump and cut a slot in it like the traditional method with a dremel and attach 4 pieces of screen in the circle. Just my thoughts.

I like to put the pvc pipe in very hot water that I heated on my stove or such but, most times I use the grill burner outside to heat the water. The pvc bends very easy after being dipped into the hot water. I then cool it by dipping it into room temp water. With the hot water you are able to put small sections, large sections, whole or portions of the pvc in that needs to be bent.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

I tried something like this with a CFL bulb in a clear tube on the inside of a 4" PVC pipe with the screen pressed against the inner wall of the 4" pipe. I couldn't get good even water flow along the screen. A 4" pipe gives roughly a 12" screen, and getting 35 x 12 = 420 GPH to flow nicely down the screen isn't easy. I'm sure with some time and fiddling I could have gotten it to work, but I gave up. A small, straight two sided screen would give as much filtering power in the same space with less flow, and the slot design is well tested. Good luck if you want to keep trying it though. I wouldn't try LED strips. I doubt they have enough power.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information