+ Reply to Thread

Thread: recommended flow rate

recommended flow rate

Hi all just registered and new to this algae scrubber lark and was wondering if I was to use a pump to produce flow over screen what amount of flow you guys would recommend? my system is approx 250 gallons and whilst I have an option of using an overflow pipe i haven't measured the max rate it would yield as yet. screen size is approx 13" wide by 22" drop would this be adequate? (I am planning to use 2x 125 watt 2700k envirolites - one either side)
    Cheers Guys

Re: recommended flow rate

You're looking at it from the wrong angle. Think of it in terms of how much food you want/need to feed, then calculate your needed screen size then multiply by 35. Simple, right?

Think you mean screen width. Look at the new size guidelines post by Santa. 12sqin per each cube of frozen food fed per day. So if your screen is say 6 x 6 inches you could feed 3 cubes per day if lit from both sides. 6 inches x 35 = 210 gallons per hour flow.

Quote Originally Posted by dtyharry
    Think you mean screen width. Look at the new size guidelines post by Santa. 12sqin per each cube of frozen food fed per day. So if your screen is say 6 x 6 inches you could feed 3 cubes per day if lit from both sides. 6 inches x 35 = 210 gallons per hour flow.

Sorry, screen width is correct.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information