+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Gone LED

did you take any pictures? and can you let me know how it goes?

cheers Edward

I have had one side done for a week, and just finished the other today. With the new lights, I have to experiment again with photoperiod, total intensity, and relative intensity of the blues versus reds.

I've had the new blue LEDs on one side for two weeks and did a cleaning Sunday. Growth was very good, but what is most interesting is that I think the algae that grows with the blues added is a completely different species than that which grew with reds alone. It seems more like true green hair algae, while the algae that I got with reds alone seemed more like the shredded seaweed that is in Japanese seaweed salad. It was much more "ribbon" like. The new hair algae is also much harder to scrape off the screen. This stuff is tough.

This cleaning cycle will be the first with red+blue on both sides, so we'll see how it goes. The current light setup is 10x660nm, 5x630nm, 4x455nm, 4x445nm, 5x420nm per side. The reds are running at 600mA and the blues at around 400mA. There is still hair algae in the display. If this setup doesn't out compete it, I don't know what will.

Administrator
    I really like the ribbon stuff... which is probably ulva. It does not matt-down as easily, and really lets the water flow throughout it.

I don't think it uses the same amount of nutrients per volume as GHA though. The hair algae seems much more "dense".

Administrator
    Yes but it can't grow/filter without light, so the bottom layers become useless after a few days.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information