+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gone LED

The problem with having lots of colors in a build with 3W LEDs is that you won't end up mixing the colors evenly. You'll end up with spots lit primarily by one or maybe two colors. Mixing might work with 1W LEDs with a wide angle, but 3W LEDs only 2" or 3" from the screen, you get spot lights of this color and that color.

Banned
    I agree, for the vast majority of people, using just 660nm, or just 630nm, will be more than sufficient and not add any complications to the setup.

For people like me, I understand the blending aspect of LEDs and can build/blend a large mixture quite well, but I would be the 1%er of LEDs. LOL

Is it best to use more then just the red?

Banned
    I would say that is still "debatable". I have some proof other spectrums do help, but I can't say exactly how much they help and if it is worth it. There is still a lot of testing to be done in that area. For now, if you want simple and algae to grow, I see no issue with just using 660nm LEDs without anything else.

I ditto that, they seem to be pretty good.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

Banned
    If you don't mind, take a look at this thread I started and post your info

http://algaescrubber.net/forums/show...nes-and-Builds

I will at some point, but the FTS you asked for isn't looking so hot right now. I was playing with different photo periods and found one that definitely didn't work... Algae popped up in the display just like that, and once it is there, it takes a while to go away since I really don't have anything to graze on it. All my emerald crabs starved to death, and my lazy tang won't touch the stuff. I'd be fine if I could just stop tinkering with things...

Banned

how far apart are the leds from each other?

Roughly 3" inches, but I just doubled the number by adding 420nm, 445nm, 455nm blues in between each red, so now they are around 1.5 inches apart, an equal number of "blue" wavelength LEDs and "red" wavelength LEDs. We'll see how things grow with this setup. I was getting great growth volume with just reds, but it wouldn't fully out compete algae in the display growing under the blue wavelengths from my display lights.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information