+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marksfish' new scrubber

Marksfish' new scrubber

So the new box arrived this evening (influenced by something I saw somewhere, but can't remember where!!). I need to make a couple of modifications as it is difficult to explain to someone exactly what you want over an email or 5!!

So basically, this is my box:

Lights will be fitted in the two outer chambers, so no problems with spray from the screen affecting my lights. Plus, it gives a lot of protection to my wiring as I wire the lights in. The hole is so that I can fit a 32mm tank connector, thus raise/ lower the water level in the chamber to encourage 3D growth. As you see, it is only hinged on one side which is a bit of a problem, I had wanted a hinge on either side to open the light compartments, and leave the centre section uncovered. This is where my poor communication skills fell apart.

Shot from the end showing the recess for the pipe. Unfortunately, the recesses areen't deep enough, so the lid won't close with the pipe installed. Wlil use my file to make them a bit deeper.

I now have 2 sets of LEDs in the UK (as suggested by Kerry, Thanks ), I have ordered 2 more sets. Once they arrive, it will be all systems go for the new system

Will take a few weeks to sort out the "bits and bobs" before it is ready to run. Need to find something to mount the LEDs on too, may even need another set each side to bring up the light.

Mark

Re: Marksfish' new scrubber

Looks like a nice build. You may want more then one drain. You might want to mount the LED's to a piece of aluminum "C" channel to keep them cooler. I have also seen heat sinks from a computer CPU chip be used as well.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

Thanks Kerry .

Yes, I am looking for some aluminium sheet to mount the leds on, I had considered cpu heatsinks but don't have enough scrap ones handy . I have ordered another pair f leds this week, so will have 3 sets on each side of the screen (9x 3W per side). Waiting for them to arrive from Hong Kong is the killer and postal services are busier than usual at this time of the year. Each order is taking about 14 working days to arrive.

I am running just the one set of LEDs on one side of my old scrubber at the moment, with the cfls on the other. Growth with one set is a bit low and dark, but still very impressive for 9w compared to the previous 40w!!

Will see how it goes with one drain, it is a 32mm (holds 25mm pipework) fitting, so should be plenty big enough (I hope).

Mark

Yes the LED growth is very impressive. This is because the 660nm spectrum is all used by the algae, with the CFL some of the spectrum is a not valuable to the algae.
    Many put a drain on the side just in case the algae lets loose and clogs the lower drain.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

any updates on this one?

Unfortunately not . I decided to go with 6x led units, 3 for each side. I am now waiting for the final 2 to arrive, then I can wire it up. Hoping they will arrive before Christmas, then I can get it up and running in the holiday period between Christmas and new year.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how these LEDs work in the new unit, the one I have been using on my old produced some phenomenal results with bright green algae.

Mark

what are the dimensions of your box... this setup would work very well for me..have literally no room in my cabinet

200mm wide x 300mm long x 200mm height. Clear acrylic dividers placed 110mm from each outside edge to provide water compartments for lighting. 80mm central area for the screen and drain hole. Of course, it can be adapted to any size you want to use.

Mark

Banned

Looks like spotter's on Reef Central

Don't do Reef Central so can't comment. I did get the idea from something similar posted on here earlier on in the year.

Mark

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information