+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: I'm new! Nano scrubber for 5g

I'm new! Nano scrubber for 5g

I've read this forum for a while and I decide to try the scrubber. I keep tanganyikan cichlids for 10 year but I'm new to reef, but I've read on it everyday. I want to try with a 5.5 gallon tank, I will do the DIY nano scrubber kind of Santa. If I understand it right, I was thinking of having a one side 5x5 in screen, with a 200gph pumps (maybe a bigger pump). For the light I'm not sure, I would like to go with Led. I was thinking this led from ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/DIY-3-x-3W-Red- ... 336ca82f56 but I don't know if only one set would do the trick or if I should go for 2. And if I need something else to plug this led. Sorry for my poor english!!!

Re: I'm new!

I would go with 2 (6 of them total) to be sure you have enough. I have a 2.75x6.75 single sided screen and barely get by with 4 of them. I will be upgrading it to a dual sided screen soon though, mine is on a 10G nano.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

I have just purchased 6 of these items and they are great . I am using only one at the moment on my old scrubber to see the effects (and waiting for the others to arrive). I was originally going to use 2 on either side, but have now decided on 3 each side as the light spread at 3" from screen isn't great. I am also running mine without the lenses on a recommendation from Kerry, as otherwse the light would be too focussed in one area. The lenses just screw off. The seller told me that a laptop charger would provide enough power to run 4 of these units.

This is what my screen looks like with just the 1 unit running:

Good value for money in my opinion.

Mark

Good looking out Marksfish, I forgot to mention the lens's burning the algae!!! That is great growth you have to!!!!!!
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

Thanks, I will buy 2 set from start. Do you have any pic of how you plug them, I'm not really good at DIY thing but I want to learn and this led seem easier to install. I want to go with DIY led for the tank too but I'm kind of scare to build it, I'm still looking on all tutorial I could find! This site is really driving me nuts with salt water!!! Thanks alot for your quick respond! I'll post pic once I've start but for now I only have the tank!

When the LEDs arrive, they look like this:

The plug on the end is one of these:

I have the one at the moment running off a 12v 1A adaptor at the moment. I will be wiring my lights in parallel by cutting off the plugs and using connector blocks.

When lit, they look like this (with lenses fitted):

HTH

Mark

Can't find the edit button at the moment. On the screen, they look like this

Thanks alot, where my credit card, I buy them right now!

For the price, I think they are good value and well worth the money . Delivery is about 2 weeks to the UK, so probably similar in Europe. Can't say about the rest of the World though.

Mark

I'm in Quebec, it may took longer! Its on is way, I now need to find the canvas. And any goods comments on the hydor pico evolution pumps, its seem good on paper and affordable!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread Information