+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need help finding to buy or designing my own led light.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace25 View Post
    I just found a source (albeit China) for 620-630nm, 640nm-650nm, 660nm, and 680nm-690nm red LEDs. I am going to order a 100, mixture of each, and play with more setups since the LEDs are cheap, like 79cents ea.

3 flavors of reds from this one (look at the 3 choices in wavelength you can pick from, and I confirmed with them that they do have different spectrum LEDs available)
    http://fedy.en.alibaba.com/product/4444 ... m_led.html

http://fedy.en.alibaba.com/product/4920 ... urer_.html

http://fedy.en.alibaba.com/product/5163 ... urer_.html

They also have the lower spectrum, here are 430nm LEDs that I am going to try out. Lots of different choices in LEDs, just order spares because some (up to 10%) will die quickly due to bad Mfg.
    http://fedy.en.alibaba.com/product/4742 ... urer_.html

ELN30-42 is a model of Mean Well driver to power the LEDs.
    Hi Ace, how did the FEDY LEDs work out? How did you place your order? I haven't had good luck so far. I requested quotes through Alibaba a couple days ago but the replies so far are all for different products (substituted brands without the boards) and/or high quantities (>1000). What supplier did you purchase from?

Has anybody else made a successful China LED purchase? I see there are some unbranded Chinese 660nm LEDs on eBay? Anybody know how they compare with the OSRAM and FEDY, particularly how their light output compares?

I have bought some and have good luck so far with the drivers and LED's. I have only used the smaller drivers like 4-7 and 8-12 LED's so I am not sure on the large ones.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

Banned
    Unfortunately I still have the LEDs sitting on my coffee table... just waiting to be used. I have only tested them to make sure they work and to get some PAR readings. I wanted to make some new ATS boxes and use them but it is getting so close to "ATS II" that I may as well wait another couple months to see this new design.

With FEDY you have to order 100 pieces for LEDs and 100 pieces for lenses (if you want them). That is the minimum you can buy directly from the company. Luckily I know a lot of people switching to LEDs so in my local area we usually make a "group buy" every month or so and it has worked out good doing it that way. For 1 person, ya, not really going to have much luck ordering directly from FEDY unless you want a LOT of LEDs (which if you were going to make ATS's for other people you could certainly find uses for them). The ones I see on Ebay are the same as the ones I ordered from China, just have to pay a little more $ because your buying less of them (only 25cents more per LED than I paid), so it is worth it if you just need a few LEDs. I see 10 for $20.00, so $2.00ea BUT they are also coming from China so it is a long shipping time. For a little more $ you can get them shipped from the US if you look at other auctions. The only reason I went with the China LEDs is because it was part of a group buy and they had different wavelengths available so I could do testing.

I love the advice on this site... he asked for a material break down and it was supplied with no complaints or anything... awesome.

Ace, thanks for the pricing info. I'm curious what you found with the PAR readings. Did you compare with other products? I know with white LEDs, there can be wild differences in maximum output and efficiencies between brands and products. I was unable to find complete datasheets for the FEDY / StatisLED 660nm LEDs to compare with other 660nm LEDs, for example the Osram 660nm. I would pay more for a big difference in output if I could use fewer LEDS.

I have the china units and seem to have the same results as the others on here with the better units.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

Banned
    I'm trying to pool everyone's LED knowledge here

http://algaescrubber.net/forums/show...nes-and-Builds

Check it out and add anything you think might help others!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information