+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PAR in Scrubber vs Display

Re: PAR in Scrubber vs Display

Quote Originally Posted by Ace25
    I think your putting too much into a PAR #. PAR is not as simple as putting the sensor x inches from a light and reading the # on the screen, spectrum plays a much bigger role in what that # really means. Also, I am sure 1500 PAR is a few inches directly below the light source, what is the PAR throughout the tank? Due to how much PAR changes every inch you move you can't just add/multiply numbers. The best you could do is take as many different readings in different locations and then get an average #.

Since my tanks are LEDs now and use controllers I have a gradual ramp up and down of the lights to mimic the readings I got from a friends tank that has SolaTubes over them. PAR readings were taken June 21st (longest day of the year) with the sensor on the top tank brace about 24" below the tubes. My meter has a log mode and it takes a reading every 30 minutes and records it. Just to give you an idea of what is more "natural" in terms of daily sunlight/PAR.

I did call it shoty math... :lol:

Tank is 25" deep, bottom was getting 230-250. I remember that b/c of my claim. Top most rock was getting 1000 easy.

Well when it comes to spectrum I figured I got that spot on, with the equipment I have... :?: No?

I did test all parts of the tank, I draw a picture with all the values, I need to find it.

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica
    It just comes down to how strong the scrubber is. PAR, 2-sided, rough screen, 3D, cleaning half, all play a part. Any one can make a scrubber twice or half as strong.
    Can you tell me what PAR the SM100 produces?

Administrator

I just measure the T5's:

500 @ 1 inch
    400 @ 2 inch

LEDs:

1200 @ 1 inch
    900 @ 2 inch

Courtesy of Reefski's Apogee Quantum Plus PAR meter

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica
    I just measure the T5's:

500 @ 1 inch
    400 @ 2 inch

LEDs:

1200 @ 1 inch
    900 @ 2 inch

Courtesy of Reefski's Apogee Quantum Plus PAR meter

Thanks! Very useful, how many hours do each of these scrubbers run?

I want to see if others have a balanced ratio, do you know what PAR your display lighting produces?

PAR in Scrubber vs Display

Thnx santa! Think I've got the same LEDs on the scrubber..now it makes allot of sense why the algae kinda burned a little @ 1 inch distance..

Administrator

18 hours

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by srusso
    Well when it comes to spectrum I figured I got that spot on, with the equipment I have... :?: No?
    I would say No, not even close. Radium doesn't contain much spectrum in the over all PAR range, but it does have good PUR for coral growth. 23w CFLs, I would guess 90% of the light coming off most of those bulbs is wasted light, only 10% is PUR. With PAR readings you have to know the spectrum of the bulbs your testing to know where the PAR is coming from and how much of that PAR is actually PUR.

Radium Spectral Chart

vs Sun Spectral Chart (44% is the PAR area).... see a difference in spectral output?

Banned

That radium chart totally jives with what my hyrdoponics guy has been talking about. He is working on developing a reef fixture and had someone run some growth tests on various LED combinations and what they basically determined is that 455nm RBs are all - all - that is needed for coral growth. Everything else is just for aesthetics.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo
    That radium chart totally jives with what my hyrdoponics guy has been talking about. He is working on developing a reef fixture and had someone run some growth tests on various LED combinations and what they basically determined is that 455nm RBs are all - all - that is needed for coral growth. Everything else is just for aesthetics.
    I would agree 100% with that, especially since I have had a 24"x24"x12" frag tank running only 12 Royal Blue LEDs for almost a year and I get fantastic growth out of frags with near 0 algae growth (not counting zooxanthellae of course). 12 royal blue LEDs get about 2x as much growth as 6x 22" T5HOs with a mixture of bulbs from actinic, blue, and daylight that I had over it before. PAR output of the royal blue light is only around 100 PAR vs 800 PAR I got from the T5HOs, but I get 2x as much growth out of that 100 PAR. Just shows how PAR by itself is pointless unless you know the spectrum and the intake spectrum(s) of what your trying to grow with it.

Funny I came to the same conclusion back in 2004, the year I was banned from RC because I tried to show how 455nm light is all that is needed to grow corals, mods at the time disagreed (their position at the time was blue/actinic light is 100% useless to corals and is only used to please our eyes), I wouldn't drop the subject because I had proof to back my statements, so they banned me for life because I wouldn't drop it. Never looked back though, 90% of the people I know in this hobby personally have been banned from RC for silly reasons (actually never met a person that was banned for a legitimate reason). I know a few people banned simply because they logged into RC from the college I work at, and the mods saw the same IP logging into multiple accounts so they must have been up to no good, instant ban without so much as a PM asking for clarification.

Banned

LOL yeah I'm on RC as long as I can I guess just 'cause I'm spreading the word. Since they aren't too keen on someone selling or making something for others not being a sponsor, it's just a matter of time before I get the boot.

hey check this out

http://www.reefcentralsucks.net/blog/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information