+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NEW SCRUBBER DESIGN IDEA

NEW SCRUBBER DESIGN IDEA

I was thinking about how to make a quieter scrubber for my BC14, which is in our bedroom. This is somethnig that has plagued my mind for sometime to come up with a solution for. So I think I have came up with a different way to make one work that is quiet but I would like to get some other opinions first. My design started to take shape after watching one of Santa's you tube vids. It the one where he shows the leds off growing the algae, and I remember that I was thinking that algae looks so happy floating in the water, I should make mine a little deeper. Then I like to read about new tank problems that people have and after like the tenth thread about hair algae and it dawned on me how well hair algae can grow in a DT, then it hit me, the new design that is. Make a scrubber that works like a tank. So I thought about this design a little more and came up one I like, my logic is that I can contiue to use stuff from my current setup. which I have my 2x24w compact bulbs as my light source, contiune to use the box enclosure to hold the bulbs and now instead of a horizontal scrubber use a vertical scrubber that is made from a media reactor or similar design with the upward flow concept. So basically instead of media in it, you can put the roughed up plastic screen in it so it can be removed and that stays in the middle. For my tank I was thinking of using one the that has a chamber size 4" in dia and is 15" tall, but I cant see any reason why I couldn't use one that square or any other shape. I will draw a picture later and post it as soon as i can , i know my thoughts might not be so clear right yet, but the basic idea is that your running a meadia reactor with algae in it instead of some kind of media. Its just only a thought at this time for me anyway, so help me out. I think this could be a good worth while idea. thanks

Administrator

Re: NEW SCRUBBER DESIGN IDEA

A few folks have tried that... when the water gets too thick, like at the bottom of a waterfall scrubber, the growth stops.

Well darn, I hoping that it would help keep the algae suspended better and allow the light to better penetrate it. Guess I will have to wait til your new design it available and make one of them, I hope it is quieter.

Administrator

Experiments with the width and height of the 3D area at the bottom of the screen has shown to make good improvements. The growth there can get a full inch thick with water flowing through it. Any higher or deeper though, and the roots die too quick.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information