+ Reply to Thread

Thread: First post and have some problems.

First post and have some problems.

Hello everyone. A couple months ago I built and added my first algae scrubber. I had nitrates that where off the charts and high phosphates as well. After running this system with two cfl 23w bulbs, one on each side I now how 0 for both nitrates and phosphates.

I was doing a little work on the system today and kinda screwed up lol. I had a pretty good set up running and could easily get light to both sides of the screen. I removed both baffles in my tank today now cannot figure a way to get two bulbs on each side. Now the system also makes alot of water noise. should I reduce flow? Any tips on getting two lights to hit both sides? Here are two videos of my current set up. Any advice?

http://s701.photobucket.com/albums/ww11 ... 18_871.mp4

http://s701.photobucket.com/albums/ww11 ... 28_682.mp4

Administrator

Re: First post and have some problems.

You should change to a spiral bulb with a wide reflector. You are burning the middle, and if anything, you need more flow.

How is it that you have less room after removing baffles?

Well the problem I have now is I was using the baffles and I clipped the lights to those. You can see my new set up in the video. Any recommendations on how I should get a light in front of the screen on the other side? If I clipped it like the other one I can not close my stand doors. Why use cfl with reflector instead of what I have? Should I just add more PVC and make a new longer screen So the light clips can hit the screen easier?

Administrator

Wider will reflect the light more evenly, and not burn the middle, and therefore filter better. Looks for examples here:
    viewtopic.php?f=3&t=26

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information