+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Corals vs Algae FAQ

Corals vs Algae FAQ

A quote from reefcheck.org

"Algae (also known as seaweed) are a normal component of healthy coral reefs. Turf algae are cropped algae only a few centimeters in height, typically growing on rock, rubble or sand. They are important ecological indicators because they indicate a healthy population of algae-consuming fish and invertebrates, the herbivores, therefore many ecologists include turf algae in coral reef surveys. So why isn’t this important indicator part of Reef Check surveys?

Although Reef Check is an ecological survey protocol, it is primarily designed to track human impacts. If turf algae are allowed to grow, due to a combination of high nutrients (fertilizer) and low herbivory (algae eating), then the algae can become an important indicator of human impacts – mainly sewage pollution and runoff from agriculture. It is the unbalanced ecological condition of unchecked algal growth that is of interest to Reef Check, because this is the indicator of human impacts. So rather than monitoring the normal balanced condition of turf algae – Reef Check tracks out-of-control algal growth – which we call Nutrient Indicator Algae (NIA). In other words, presence of turf algae is the normal condition so is not counted. When it grows above 2.5 cm then it is counted to indicate the above problems (NIA). As such, it is an indicator of high inputs of the nutrients phosphorus and nitrogen and low numbers of herbivores."

The issue on today's reefs is the encrochment of turf algaes.

Re: Corals vs Algae FAQ

So we should crop our algae crop? Haha.

I don't see the relevance of the title to the quoted material. Or to Scrubbing.

Interesting to know the metric used to calculate human contamination of reefs though.

My mind goes to ocean area that experience a natural algae bloom due to wind blown "dust", and other non human related events. These shallows are where 90% or more of ocean life are. The rest of the ocean is like a dessert comparable due to lack of food.

You'd think the measure of phytoplankton would be a more telling indicator of high nutrients. The "excess" turf would be telling of impact on herbivores more so than pollution.

E.g, more food (turf) should support a larger population of grazers. Each kept in check by the others amount. Food chain and all that.

But what does this have to do with corals exactly?

The implication from Santa's FAQ post as I read it was to show that reefs have not changed and that the algal coral balance is as it always has been.
    If that was his intention then he has missed the point . Macroalgaes are not the issue it is the many hundreds of species of turf algae which are overrunning modern day reefs. These are traditionally grazed by herbivores but overfishing and increased pollution is resulting in these turfs taking over the reefs. The implications for corals Aeros are that where the turfs are the corals cannot gain a foothold.
    No, this is not relevant to aquaria but neither is Santa's original post. I think it is his continuing belief that algae on modern day reefs is not a problem.

Administrator

People always want research, so I post research.

research is food for the brain!!!! I love it.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

Agreed but it is important to offer a balanced viewpoint which is why I posted the other links.

I hear ya but, if people do not research the research they are reading SHAME on the them. One should collect data from several sources and draw into an opinion based on facts of the collective data. I do not think the most of us here are SHEEPLE. LOL. Everyone here seems to have brain activity.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

Well not many people here voice it.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information