+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Söchting Oxydator?

Söchting Oxydator?

Does anyone use a Oxydator with there ATS? Would it have any negative effects?

Re: Oxydator?

The scrubber is really going to be plenty enough to oxygenate the water. I do not see why you would need to add hydrogen peroxide.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

Would the higher redox level make the algae grow quicker? Would also like the gin clear water

Banned

For me it differs day to day in regards to the clarity of the water, but for the most part it is as clear, or even more clear, than when I used to run filter socks. Some days I look over and can't even tell there is water in the tank it is so clear, then on off days there is a white haze to the water, maybe 2 days out of a month.

I think adding hydrogen peroxide can be very dangerous if not done correctly and would actually not recommend anyone doing it unless you really have a firm understanding of the effects (ie. Chemistry major). Ozone is a safer method, although still can be harmful of not done properly. Personally, I don't think anything is needed to oxygenate the water with an ATS, but if you wanted to add something cheap and super effective, put an 6-8" fan blowing over the screen, it will SUPER CHARGE the scrubber, making a weeks worth of algae grow in about 3 days and also makes your pH rock solid. Drawbacks of that though is it really cools the water, in turn making heaters run more, which raises the power bill for the month. Also adds about 2x the evaporation to the tank (ie. I was going through 5 gallons of RO/DI top off every 2 days instead of 5).

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information