+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Display LED options

Administrator

Display LED options

Need to replace my 2 X 150 mh + 100 actinic, and looking for recommendations. Would like:

300 to 500 watts of power used.
    48" wide
    Ability to turn the light inwards is nice.
    Ability to turn the light towards the back, so does not blind you.
    Ability to move the lights up or back, to get into tank.
    Two modes: Regular, and nightime

Looks like the www.maxspect.com ones will work, but I'm sure there are others.

Administrator

Re: Display LED options

Forgot... also would be nice if there were no fans.

The best LED unit around for display tanks is pacific sun..
    Seen a couple running on tanks for about a year, and am very impressed..

The Phobos/Deimos combines T5 and LED technology, with integrated controller.
    but very pricey..

Good (cheap) alternative would be Key Led's, or Maxspect.. Also eShine is producing impressive LED display lights for reasonable money..

You could also look at EcoTech marine raedon (but also expensive)

The hang-on system from the maxspect website...not seen that on sale yet..
    Lot of people here work with window-screen motors and cables so they can lift or lower the lights automatically..

Display LED options

Ecotech radion is where I would start. Also look at the apollo units, they are dimmable but not as pretty as the ecotech.

Administrator

The Maxspects seem to be the only ones that don't have fans. I rather not have fans.

The eShine 400 watts one looks like it might cover my whole tank; would need a motor to raise it though.

Looks like most pendants are 150w; I guess these are more pare than my 150 mh?

According my latsest info, Maxspect currently produces the G2 but it's also with Fans...

I've checked the US versions for you here: on this website

No practical experience from anybody I know though...so would not recommand it, I would still suggest Ocean pacific if you got money to spent.. otherwise KEY if you want value for money..i really do like the SPS Power bars which they now include in the tank lighting systems..

LED's do shoot alot more PAR's then HQI (MH) does..

160W is compareable with 250 watt MH..
    170W is compareable with 2x 150watt MH..

Here is a direct compare:

Administrator

Well the Maxspect "S" two channel is only $679 for two modules. I have two openings at the top of the tank (center brace in the middle) so maybe they could be angled inwards towards the frag tray.

Am wondering if the small color range from the "s" series is going to work..

The P series on the otherhand also has two indigo LED's (410-420 nM) and two warm whites..
    http://reefbuilders.com/2011/11/11/maxs ... -p-series/

The P series double module goes for $1075

The system looks fantastic!
    Nice mounting system, controlability is more than fine but still needs the fans...

My current conclusion regarding LED's for display tanks:

LED Only:
    Only works best if combined with T5.. Or the units must have a bigger color range ability (like the pacisifc sun Hyperion) The P-series and KEY LED units are actually the only alternatives to pacific sun which i found are capable of providing a bigger color range. But still you need to adjust it yourself to match the needs...and that's not an easy job..

Replacing MH with LED's -> GO for it! limited colorrange, same effect, less power consumption and much more intense light..

I came to this conclusion since all LED units which are marked as "Rolls royce" for aquarium lighting.. are combinations of T5 with LED..no LED only unit has got that status yet except for the pasific sun Hyperion..

Administrator

A larger spectrum seems odd, since only blue gets very far on a reef.

Also, I want a cheap unit; I'm only getting one because my Current unit is dying. The small 9 X 9 size of the Mazzera units would fit well above the euro openings I have, and could be pivoted inward (towards the frag tray), and also pivoted backwards so it does not shine in my eyes. My tank is 30 tall, and narrow, so the 70 degree optics look about right. This is of course if they fixed the problems with the loose pivots.

The main problem with this or any other one is movement, for access to my tank's euro-openings. I read the user comments on the Mazzeras and the units do not slide easily along the rail. That's too bad because that would have been a perfect way to get them out of the way. Maybe they could be greased (if metal) or soaped (if plastic).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information