+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Combining ZEOvit and Algae Filter

Combining ZEOvit and Algae Filter

I´ve had a few systems with different set ups in the past and I´m planning my next tank at the moment. I´ve never had any sort of Algae Scrubber system but I´ve read a lot about it both here and other places. I´ve also been considering a ZEOvit system and I would like to hear your opinions on wether these different elements could compliment each other. I read Santa Monicas thread on the Zeovit forum, and being a different system than what the "experts" at that forum uses he was met with a lot of hostility. I don´t really care "who´s right" and I think that if someone does it in the total opposite way than I do and get it right - perhaps even better than I do - then that is great and an inspiration. Unfortunately this does not go for everyone. What is important to me is of course to create the best possible environment and conditions for the animals living in the water, which in my case will be mainly corals -SPS and LPS- but also some fish and possibly clams and shrimps. I will be aiming for good coral growth as well as the most color possible showing in the corals.

I was considering keeping a dark refugium with an Algae Scrubber on top of it with one Deep Sand Bed chamber and one Live Rock chamber. I would like to hear pros and cons on combining it all with the following:
    ZEOvit
    Calcium Reactor
    Kalkwasser
    Skimmer

For the very best possible result, what would you combine in your set up.
    I would be happy to get your opinions based on your own experience and knowledge. Thank you very much
    //ppsthlm

Administrator

Re: Combining ZEOvit and Algae Filter

Generally, the nutrient-reducing (via DOC adding) function of zeo will compete with the scrubber. It does not hurt to run them both, but making one strong will make the other one weaker. So it looks to be more work for no more gain.

The DOC-vitamins and DOC-amino's that zeo adds, are also added by a scrubber.

The zeo will reduce pH; a scrubber will increase it.

The zeo will consume oxygen; a scrubber will add it.

A scrubber will also add baby copepods.

A skimmer is a separate issue; it is not required by a scrubber. Interestingly, in the past I've dosed vodka without a skimmer. Anyways, as long as your nutrients stay low, keeping as many food/waste/microbe particles in the water as possible will feed your corals more. You'll never get close to the amount of particles in the ocean, however.

Kalk and a calcium reactor are also separate issues.

OK, thank you for your advice.
    Would you add Kalkwasser or Calcium Reactor to an Algae system or not?

The Zeovit can weaken the algae growth and therefor make the Algae Filter less effective. Can the Algae Filter weaken the effect of the Zeovit, assuming that it is being held as should, meaning cleaned once a week not to yellow the water and spread algae...?!

Quote Originally Posted by ppsthlm
    OK, thank you for your advice.
    Would you add Kalkwasser or Calcium Reactor to an Algae system or not?
    The short answer is yes.

They will not interfere with a scubber much. Ca reactors, depending on the media used, can add Phosphate; which would fuel growth. Kalwasser has been shown to precipitate out Phosphate, which would limit scrubber growth. How much either add or subtract from the water column is dependent on a lot of factors. The two in conjunction would be the balanced approach. Though much more work.

I run only a Ca reactor, and am experiencing a depressed pH. Though I blame lack of fresh air (winter) more than the Ca reactor. However, the scrubber has not been able to maintain my desired pH either.

Do not plan to compensate pH via a scrubber. Any boost to pH is secondary to filtration.

Administrator

I don't know if a scrubber will "weaken" zeo.

This is an intersting way to go for an SPS system IMO. It would appear to be the best of both worlds of being able to control what is going in and out of the tank. Zeovit is good at tweaking colors from what I see but, at the expense of going too low and having to add so many things to get colors. Thinking that a half amount of zeolites and a half to full size ATS with dimmable leds to dial in the scrubber.

So how many of you have or are doing this. How does it go?

Administrator
    You never want to dim the lights. Only reduce the hours.

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
    You never want to dim the lights. Only reduce the hours.
    Is this because if it is too dim it wont grow the dark green stuff? But with less hours it does but grows less of it?

Thinking now if run with a zeo tank the ats should be run max. Then start with about half of the zeolite stones. Does that sound like a working plan to you?

Banned
    Intensity is the key. Less intense with longer hours is not as good as more intense with shorter hours.

I would start with no zeo, get the scrubber going full, then add in zeo a little at a time, if you feel the need for it at all at that point. But let the scrubber get up to full speed fist. Just MHO

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information