+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Just something I noticed recently with my ATS

Just something I noticed recently with my ATS

Didn't really click until last week (Then I went out to the bush with my wife and son and had no internet access and couldn't tell you.. )

For reasons beyond my control, I had to use flexible plumbing to lead into and out of my ATS. This meant clear pipes. When I went to do the screen scrub before I went away I noticed something that was kind of an indicator as to the effectiveness of the ATS.

The inlet pipe to the scrubber was starting to get algae building up inside it. The outlet? Still crystal clear. The outlet gets more exposure to sunlight and thus should be more optimum growing conditions for algae.

I think it's a good indicator of how well this idea works. I'm obviously ripping the phosphates and nitrates out in the ATS to have this much effect.

Otherwise, I'm glad I have this unit installed. I put some new coral in recently which had a piece of rock attached that must have been a nitrate factory. Had a minor algae growth which didn't really spread. It just started and is already dying back (2 weeks later).

AD

Administrator

Re: Just something I noticed recently with my ATS

Usually the difference between inlet and outlet is not that great, but it's good that it is in your case.

good observation!

Good observation, but mind that the light factor is also important. If the inlet is exposed to more light (potentially being above) will grow algae inside much faster.

For what is worth: I used flexible/corrugated spa hoses. They come in white color and 6' runs for about $8 at Menard's. 3/4" for inlet and 1" for outlet.

cheers,
    Marian

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information