+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Dino plague in scrubbed tank.

Santa Monica, you were in on the other thread I made about increasing the light and the hair growing brown. I had to clean it today, which was three days from the last cleaning and all I got off it was brown snot like slime. I think I'm gonna have a long job waiting for the scrubber to clear it. I would say the volume of dinos is at least double, and have today turned the dt lights down to 7 hours to try and help combat it. I do have a number of sps frags, and don't want them to die. This is the reason for considering this durastic solution.

Banned
    What's your pH like?

Well, through the roof actually. I figured it was high as I am using the bottom of the bucket from d and d without properly stirring it first. Have done an awful lot of water changes to try and reduce without any success. 8.5-8.6 peak

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Enigma84 View Post
    Well, through the roof actually. I figured it was high as I am using the bottom of the bucket from d and d without properly stirring it first. Have done an awful lot of water changes to try and reduce without any success. 8.5-8.6 peak
    I would rectify this first, by excessive aeration to get some co2 into the water column. Are you not running a skimmer ?

Yes, running a turboflotor multi sl. Is it best to run this at same time? It's pulling a fair old bit of crud out.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Enigma84 View Post
    Yes, running a turboflotor multi sl. Is it best to run this at same time? It's pulling a fair old bit of crud out.
    Are you able to adjust it so that it just aerates, not skim. Fully aerated saltwater has a pH of 8.2. Are you using kalkwasser?

Can do. Would it not benefit me to remove all waste that might contribute to dino food? I think it's just because I didn't stir the salt and got to the bottom. I was manually dosing but haven't done that for a month as my levels were good and ph was 8.3-8.4

Administrator
    Dino's won't have food if your scrubber is growing. Dino's are the first to go.

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
    Dino's won't have food if your scrubber is growing. Dino's are the first to go.
    Sadly its not that easy. There is more species of "Dinos" then their are of vertebrates, making a broad statement like that is not unlike saying something along the lines of "a warm water bath and mild soap kills vertebrates". While it is not a completely false statement, if that was all anyone prescribed for getting rid of vertebrates, then the individual with the infestation of humans would be ready to climb a clock tower with a rocket launcher after about the the millionth time they had been fed the line: "Why dont you put them in a warm water bath and add some soap? If only you did that the problem would go away, because that is how you kill vertebrates, if it did not kill them, then you clearly did something wrong, try again".

Anyone who has been fighting an algae outbreak like this for any length of time has probably read "Lower N and P and that will fix all algae issues" ad nauseum, saying it again will not help them, it will only make them more frustrated.

BTW: My dinos ate my scrubber. It did no good at all. The only thing that helped in my case was scrubbing the hell out of everything and removing any possible places where it could be hiding, then peroxiding the hell out of everything and then leaving everything in the dark for several days, with peroxide daily.

Your mileage may differ.

Well, I have just finished a 21 day cycle of fauna marin algae x, and now I obviously have to restart my scrubber from scratch. It seemed to have done the trick though. I will let you know if there is any change.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information