+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Dino plague in scrubbed tank.

Administrator
    Any scrubber that was overtaken by dino's was very under-lit.

Every properly built and operated scrubber knocks out dino's first, and gha second.

As long time viewer of this forum its about time I registered.

I've been experimenting with dinos for a long time with my UAS. So far too much light absolutely causes them. I currently have a 10 watt cfl on a 25 sq inch screen and its growing green very well 3 inches away only on 9-10 hours a day!

Dinos also seem to become toxic under phosphate limitation as i've observed all fish dying when i added a phosphate remover or lack of feeding and slow scrubber growth basically drying the tank out of phosphate. There are also lots of published scientific articles that say this as well.

i've done tests with 10,13,15 and 23 watt cfls varying in closeness and hours. 23 watts caused the most dinos.

as far as hours and intensity go, theres a limitation to desired growth and too much energy for a given amount of time regardless of total hours with a UAS at least.

dinos can process higher light intensities.

Banned
    Welcome Nick28 - interesting about the higher light intensities causing dinos. This fits into my research which suggests (to me) its the stuff in the algae exudate that can feed (or deter) dino's, obviously you get more of this at higher light intensities due to extra photosynthesis.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post

Every properly built and operated scrubber knocks out dino's first, and gha second.
    Another 100% completely FALSE statement.

yea dinos seem to grow right on top of the green algae like a day after the bulb instensity is increased.

23 watt bulb on 12 hours, at an inch away had about 4 sq inches of green 1 per edge (it cut back the green that was growing with my first bulb the 13 watt one). The unlit side had a lot more green front was covered in dinos smelled really bad and the center was bald.

as i moved to lower intensities green started closing in on the center. Some type of brown hair is surrounding the center (center is green) but it is slowly fading with the current bulb. brown algae possible Diatoms are growing at edges of white box (off screen) and in the back. I think its good to have some diatoms growing in a controlled location though. coralline is growing fast in tank.

I will try and post pics tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace25 View Post
    Another 100% completely FALSE statement.
    it can be really confusing sometimes, I'm just sharing what I observed with my UAS. A waterall scrubber may be different, varying N and P and silica (you cant have a lot of diatoms with low silica), light intensity, light time, light closeness, flow, and carbon delivery can change whats dominant i suppose.

Sometimes dinos would stray from my tank after blowing off corals and live in the uas for like a day or 2 and then fade away. They do seem to like high flow more than low flow.

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post

Once again, this is simply not accurate. You think a proper scrubber gets rid of all dinoflagellate colonies? Here is a good example to prove how wrong simple statements like this are: all known photosynthetic corals are primarily fed by dinoflagellate symbionts. If a scrubber could somehow magically get rid of all dinoflagellate infestations, that means that it would also kill all photosynthetic corals. This is clearly not the case.

Dinoflagellates are a group of critters that covers the entire gambit of resource acquisition. Read this short blurb off wikipedia:

"The dinoflagellates...are a large group of flagellate protists. Most are marine plankton, but they are common in fresh water habitats, as well. Their populations are distributed depending on temperature, salinity, or depth. Many dinoflagellates are known to be photosynthetic, but a large fraction of these are in fact mixotrophic, combining photosynthesis with ingestion of prey.[1] Dinoflagellates are the largest group of marine eukaryotes aside from the diatoms..... Some species, called zooxanthellae, are endosymbionts of marine animals and play an important part in the biology of coral reefs. Other dinoflagellates are colorless predators on other protozoa, and a few forms are parasitic (see for example Oodinium, Pfiesteria). Some dinoflagellates produce resting stages, called dinoflagellate cysts or dinocysts, as part of their life cycles."

Photosynthetic, heterotrophic, mixotrophic, symbiotic, parasitic.... Quite a few dinoflagellates are attracted to light, and probably some of those can eat hair algae, or at least graze on it, some can probably do both at once, some can infect fish or corals if they are deprived of light, and some can just cyst up and hibernate for centuries at a time until conditions improve.

Long story short, you cant claim any one thing can kill all dinoflagellates, at least not anything that wont also kill every other living thing in the tank.

Quote Originally Posted by joelespinoza View Post

Long story short, you cant claim any one thing can kill all dinoflagellates, at least not anything that wont also kill every other living thing in the tank.
    You mean like a skimmer

Banned
    Started an Allelopathy thread a while go, but it was ignored. Still seems the most likely candidate to me. That also includes the apparent removal of display algae when running a scrubber, although the nutrient levels are not limiting.
    Abstract
    The effects of fresh thalli and culture medium filtrates from two species of marine macroalgae, Ulva pertusa Kjellm (Chlorophyta) andGracilaria lemaneiformis (Bory) Dawson (Rhodophyta), on growth of marine microalgae were investigated in co-culture under controlledlaboratory conditions. A selection of microalgal species were used, all being identified as bloom-forming dinoflagellates: Prorocentrumdonghaiense Lu sp., Alexandrium tamarense (Lebour) Balech, Amphidinium carterae Hulburt and Scrippsiella trochoide (Stein) Loeblich III.Results showed that the fresh thalli of either U. pertusa or G. lemaneiformis significantly inhibited the microalgal growth, or caused mortality at theend of the experiment. However, the overall effects of the macroalgal culture filtrates on the growth of the dinoflagellates were species-specific(inhibitory, stimulatory or none) for different microalgal species. Results indicated an allelopathic effect of macroalga on the co-cultureddinoflagellate. We then took P. donghaiense as an example to further assess this hypothesis. The present study was carried out under controlledconditions, thereby excluded the fluctuation in light and temperature. Nutrient assays showed that nitrate and phosphate were almost exhausted inG. lemaneiformis co-culture, but remained at enough high levels in U. pertusa co-culture, which were well above the nutrient limitation for themicroalgal growth, when all cells of P. donghaiense were killed in the co-culture. Daily f/2 medium enrichment greatly alleviated the growthinhibition on P. donghaiense in G. lemaneiformis co-culture, but could not eliminate it. Other environmental factors, such as carbonate limitation,bacterial presence and the change of pH were also not necessary for the results. We thus concluded that allelopathy was the most possible reasonleading to the negative effect of U. pertusa on P. donghaiense, and the combined roles of allelopathy and nutrient competition were essential for theeffect of G. lemaneiformis on P. donghaiense.

Administrator
    You are forgetting that dino's inside of corals are fed ammonia from those corals; after all, they live inside the coral tissue. Not to mention that the coral controls the amount of light and water flow that those dino's get. The environment that those dino's live in has nothing to do with the environment that nuisance dino's live in. Matter of fact, the whole structure of a reef community is based on the pooling and recycling of nutrients within and between the coral tissues, coral branches, and neighboring corals. Comparing the environment of a coral dino to a nuisance dino is similar to comparing the environment of earth and space.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information