+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Dino plague in scrubbed tank.

Administrator
    All these bulbs were used for years on waterfalls with good results.

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
    All these bulbs were used for years on waterfalls with good results.
    i've been having the best results with the lowest wattage but best spectrum GE 10 watt on a 25 inch screen UAS

if the 6500k doesn't work. The GE reveal looks good its a cfl with a lot of red.Click image for larger version

Name:	reveal.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	3858

waterfall designs once established give a poor substrate to dinos thats my guess.

Banned
    That 'GE Reveal' bulb is the best looking CFL bulb/spectrum I have seen for photosynthesis, and it isn't even designed for that purpose. Anyone with a CFL scrubber want to test those bulbs and report? I am very curious, and optimistic, to see the results from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace25 View Post
    That 'GE Reveal' bulb is the best looking CFL bulb/spectrum I have seen for photosynthesis, and it isn't even designed for that purpose. Anyone with a CFL scrubber want to test those bulbs and report? I am very curious, and optimistic, to see the results from them.
    I definitely will try it in a few days. 6500k is doing ok its only been 2 full days. Some dinos though.
    Theres a thread on reefcentral
    http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...ellates&page=2

on page 3 a member states dinos have a C:N:P ratio of 3000/19/1

a lot of people are getting blooms under what appears to be phosphate limitation below .01 some people are adding phosphate and its going away!

This is what I have in the display although its a little deeper brown probably because of a different spectrum (not my tank in pics)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	dinos.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	3865Click image for larger version

Name:	dino2.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	3866

Floyd-when you had dinos on your UAS screen did they grow in your display?

not feeding enough could be my problem. At one point I was limited in something as caulerpa and chaeto were not growing and pods were not present in my fuge (not iron though I dose it once in awhile) dinos still persisted even with phosguard

combine that with the fact that my coraline is growing very fast I may be phosphate limited. Halimeda is even growing out of my rocks never saw that before.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick28 View Post
    Floyd-when you had dinos on your UAS screen did they grow in your display?
    Honestly I can't recall - but I don't think so.

2.5 days under 6500k 13 watt 10 hours

26 sq inch screen 6.5 x 4 3 inches away from screen
    Click image for larger version

Name:	6500k.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	3869

5.5 days less green brown increased in center from higher wattage or poor spectrum.

I got a GE reveal cfl 15 watts http://www.sears.com/g-e-lighting-g-...=1359151403000

the way this bulb is built the spread will be more even. But due to the higher wattage i'm pulling it back to 5 inches.

I would like to thank Santa Monica for the advice. After increasing the light to my scrubber, on his advice, I got a dino plague which if I'm honest, I was quite annoyed. After clearing the screen every few days, for a few weeks I have five times the depth of growth and a lot tougher hair algae. I'm running 17 x 3w 660nm and 2 x royal blue 3w per side on a 10" x 8" screen. I am very happy with the extra growth and think Santa Monica seems to know what works. Tip top. Thought I'd play devils advocate. Cheers buddy

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread Information