+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can Anyone Id Me This Algae Please?

Re: Can Anyone Id Me This Algae Please?

Quote Originally Posted by srusso
    But as I said do some reading on Bryopsis, its one of like 20 or so types of algae that are more like pests and are extremely invasive.
    I spent last night Googling it, but all I seemed to ever come across was the stuff with feathery fronds. This all started on a tank from about 4 or 5 years ago. Some of the rock was salvaged from my 4' breakdown and placed in a container in the garage for well over a year. The majority of it had gone when put into another tank just over 2 years ago, but it steadily came back. The rock was then put into this new tank, and it hasn't really spread much more since the introduction of the skimmer. As I say, sometimes the tufts are weakened enough to be able to pull it out without much effort, bu t usually has a calcified root structure.

I too have read about magnesium being the answer, but it seems it is just the one brand that is of any use. I also read that the dosage needs to be around 2000ppm to be effective.

There is a sea lettuce slug that feeds only on briopsis, but what type?

Everywhere else is telling me it is high phosphate levels and to run a media to remove it, but some of these people don't understand the ATS system.

I am stopping feeding tonight until the weekend, except for my own cultured live foods, thus introducing no more PO4 to the system. Picking up 4 Mexican turbos tomorrow to make a start, then take it form there I think.

Take the rock and flip it upside down - lit side down, dark side up. It's not the prettiest method, but it sure as hell worked for my bryopsis issue. Basically, same thing as light out without F'ing your corals.

The algae in question looks suspiciously close to what I had growing on my scrubber. Slow grower ~2+ weeks full screen, doesn't need like a lot of light. Upped my lights to LED and 100 w CFL respectively a side and now it doesn't grow on the scrubber.

My vote is on flipping rocks.

Keep us posted if you ID it and treat it successfully.

Quote Originally Posted by Marksfish
    But as I said do some reading on Bryopsis, its one of like 20 or so types of algae that are more like pests and are extremely invasive.
    I spent last night Googling it, but all I seemed to ever come across was the stuff with feathery fronds. This all started on a tank from about 4 or 5 years ago. Some of the rock was salvaged from my 4' breakdown and placed in a container in the garage for well over a year. The majority of it had gone when put into another tank just over 2 years ago, but it steadily came back. The rock was then put into this new tank, and it hasn't really spread much more since the introduction of the skimmer. As I say, sometimes the tufts are weakened enough to be able to pull it out without much effort, bu t usually has a calcified root structure.

I too have read about magnesium being the answer, but it seems it is just the one brand that is of any use. I also read that the dosage needs to be around 2000ppm to be effective.

There is a sea lettuce slug that feeds only on briopsis, but what type?

Everywhere else is telling me it is high phosphate levels and to run a media to remove it, but some of these people don't understand the ATS system.

I am stopping feeding tonight until the weekend, except for my own cultured live foods, thus introducing no more PO4 to the system. Picking up 4 Mexican turbos tomorrow to make a start, then take it form there I think.
    Just for conversation correctness... It's actually 1600ppm

Yes the sea lettuce slug is the only thing that eats it. Bryopsis contains a toxic chemical so most fish/inverts never really even touch it... Surely the bryopsis plays a part in the sea slugs own toxic poison... That being said the sea slug is a very slow moving creature... It's poisonous so it doest have to hide or defend itself... long story short... You would need a small army of them... Like 100s.... They are not cheap, hard to find in the LFS, and dropping 100s of poisonous slugs into your tank sounds like a bad, idea doesn't it? Got power heads?

Quote Originally Posted by Aeros
    Take the rock and flip it upside down - lit side down, dark side up. It's not the prettiest method, but it sure as hell worked for my bryopsis issue. Basically, same thing as light out without F'ing your corals.

The algae in question looks suspiciously close to what I had growing on my scrubber. Slow grower ~2+ weeks full screen, doesn't need like a lot of light. Upped my lights to LED and 100 w CFL respectively a side and now it doesn't grow on the scrubber.

Flipping the rock... Interesting... Can be bad for bio but that's what we have a scrubber for right?? I going to give this a try... I've got nothing to lose at this point...

The reason I gave that figure is that a UK forum I frequent have had a few members try the method and have reported having to elevate levels to 1800- 2000 to see any results.

Yes the sea lettuce slug is the only thing that eats it. Bryopsis contains a toxic chemical so most fish/inverts never really even touch it... Surely the bryopsis plays a part in the sea slugs own toxic poison... That being said the sea slug is a very slow moving creature... It's poisonous so it doest have to hide or defend itself... long story short... You would need a small army of them... Like 100s.... They are not cheap, hard to find in the LFS, and dropping 100s of poisonous slugs into your tank sounds like a bad, idea doesn't it? Got power heads?
    I've got Vortechs. Yes, I have heard they like to "set sail" in the tank. It's a shame that such pretty creatures are aways the most toxic, don't you think? I have a LFS local to me that can get them for a £10ea, but have decided against for a while.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Aeros

Unfortunately it isn't practical in my tank as some of the rock is puttyed together with corals attached. This is why I was thinking about some dark, salt water safe plastic/ acrylic to put over some areas. The area of the tank where my plating monti is growing is clear underneath. Unfortunately, it is only the size of a 50p piece .

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica
    Basically you want to do things to increase scrubber photosynthesis.

Skimmers increase photosynthesis
    Skimmer before the ATS or after?

Mark

The reason I gave that figure is that a UK forum I frequent have had a few members try the method and have reported having to elevate levels to 1800- 2000 to see any results.

I've got Vortechs. Yes, I have heard they like to "set sail" in the tank. It's a shame that such pretty creatures are aways the most toxic, don't you think? I have a LFS local to me that can get them for a £10ea, but have decided against for a while.

Mark
    Yes I too read a lot of conflicting information on the PPM, found enough good evidence that maintaining the PPM at 1600 was the proper way to do it.

Yes, funny how nature likes to say... "yeah, you see me... Now what are you going to do about it?"

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica
    Basically you want to do things to increase scrubber photosynthesis.

Skimmers increase photosynthesis
    Skimmer before the ATS or after?

Mark
    Before ATS

Administrator

Flipping rock will also kill many organisms inside it, because of changing flow/food patterns, which will put more nutrients into the water. Plus, the flipping by itself does not remove nutrients.

Bryopisis, even if it's a tank with only bryopsis and nothing else, can't live if the N and P are too low. If your scrubber is full of green each cleaning, then it's just not pulling out N and P fast enough. You can do things to put more nutrients into the water, but if the scrubber is already maxed out, it will not be able to grow anymore and will just get darker, which does not filter more.

The best solution is a stronger scrubber. Second best is to remove nutrients from the water. Least best is to put more nutrients into the water.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information