+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: LED what bin ?

LED what bin ?

hello

i plan to use the cree xm-l leds for my scrubbers.

i take it i want to find and mix the leds on both sides of the 2700k line?

please see page 7
    http://www.cree.com/products/pdf/XLampXM_B&L.pdf

under warm and white

thanks

You are looking for the ones that are about 660nm.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

As Kerry said. You'll want 630-660 NM Red/Deep Red LEDs.

I personally use ten 660 NM Osram brand LEDs on one side and 100 watts CFL @ 2300K on the other. It's not even a fair comparison. The LEDs grow greener, faster, and more algae.

"White" light is wasted as algae doesn't even see that spectrum.

the cheap Chinease LEDs work too from what I hear. But I don't want to support their black market.

Still unsure about the watt's LED per cm2..
    anyone to answer that?

Banned
    As far as LED per cm2.. I would say from my experience that 1 LED (3w style, running at 2w) can cover an area up to 4 cm2 but ideally you would want to stay under 3 cm2. That is my guesstimate on what red LEDs will cover and still give you good growth.

Distance from screen has to be factored in as well. I am currently @ ~3" distance. We should start a thread about this to pool user experience and best practices, e.g. what works and doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by kerry View Post
    You are looking for the ones that are about 660nm.
    yeah the dont list nm on there just jsut K and those other number does anyone know how to convert them?

please looks at the document the "bin" the leds, what bin is your LED from that are 660nm ? can you look at the number that you ordered? that document shoes where to look

Quote Originally Posted by Ace25 View Post
    As far as LED per cm2.. I would say from my experience that 1 LED (3w style, running at 2w) can cover an area up to 4 cm2 but ideally you would want to stay under 3 cm2. That is my guesstimate on what red LEDs will cover and still give you good growth.
    are you running optics? i would think not ?

Banned
    No optics and 2-3" away, but the same rule would apply with optics. The only difference is with optics the distance between the LEDs and screen would be much greater, which I see no real practical use for myself. I am sure someone could come up with a design where optics would be useful though. For me I am trying to get things as small as possible, not make things bigger, so I see no use for using optics with LEDs on an ATS.

Your wasting your time and $ going with XM-L LEDs for a scrubber. Those are much better suited for a display environment where you will benefit from the extra spectrum it puts out. When growing something like algae your not concerned with how it looks visually, your just concerned with how well it grows, which is where focusing the spectrum down to the 660nm will provide the most usable light and not waste any. Kelvin is used for white lights to give you an idea on how it looks ranging usually from really yellow (2700k) to crisp white (10k). Anything other that white light is usually measured in the specific wavelength of light it puts out and given fancy names, like royal blues are 455nm and deep reds are 660nm.

Quote Originally Posted by turbo v6 camaro View Post
    yeah the dont list nm on there just jsut K and those other number does anyone know how to convert them?

please looks at the document the "bin" the leds, what bin is your LED from that are 660nm ? can you look at the number that you ordered? that document shoes where to look
    These are red and are not rated in the "K" scale. Mine are just plain old 660nm (nanometers). This is just like a color that you would see when a light source say of 6500K is refracted through a prism. The prism refracts a light pattern like a rainbow, my LED's are in the red spectrum that is displayed through the prism. Check this site it might help a bit. http://www2.chemistry.msu.edu/facult...s/spectrum.htm . Just google "660nm 3W LED" and a lot of places will come up in your search.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information