+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: how to make my scrubber better?

Administrator
    Are you cleaning everything off of the screen?

no, theres always something left

Administrator
    Try clean it all the way.

Banned
    I am glad you are still going for this scrubber stuff considering it hasn't worked for you yet. When all the obvious things have been covered with no results you must go for non-obvious methods;

Clean your screen back to canvas, reduce your light, reduce photoperiod. Then when you get green (and you will), start increasing light and photoperiod gently to guideline amounts. (this may take a couple of weeks) and bobs your uncle Fanny's your aunt.

Administrator
    I think he is getting die-off, from weak light, and from not cleaning the screen all the way. In waterfalls, dark growth always means weak light.

Banned
    Dark growth can either be not enough light or too much light, but in this case it seems as though (looking at the pictures) the algae is being nuked by too much light.

Administrator
    In waterfalls, dark growth is not enough light because there are too many nutrients in the water relative to the photons needed to grow chlorophyll (green), and thus the excess nutrients form materials other than chlorophyll. This dark growth blocks light, and the roots die and let go in just a few days.

If there is already growth, then too much light (burning) gives a yellow rubbery growth, because there are not enough nutrients (usually iron) relative to to the photons. Adding iron, or reducing lighting hours, will always fix this. If there is not already growth (new screen), then an over-lighted area will get just a light tan growth.

Banned
    I would say that the majority of the screen is a translucent slime, rather than dark growth. Also, this slime has blocked the holes in the screen causing reduced turbulence. After 4 months of trying this, a resolution would be well earned.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread Information