+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Red Sea NO3 PO4

Red Sea NO3 PO4

Hello,

I have finally got my ATS completed, it has been running for 48hrs.
    Up to now I have been using Red Sea's NO3PO4 (with disastrous effects on my SPS) to control my nitrates and phosphates.
    I assume that it have got to wean the tank from NO3PO4 in order for my scrubber to grow properly.
    How do I go about this?
    Will the two systems run harmoniously while I slowly reduce the NO3 PO4 or will the NO3 PO4 inhibit the establishment of the scrubber?

Thanks

Administrator
    If your scrubber is built right, you'll have a screen-full in 7 days, and you'll be on your way. Let's see it.

Carbon source dosing is a valid method, and there is a reason it did not work correctly.

Rapidly changing filtration methods can have disastrous effects. A common complaint of carbon dosing is that is leads to a n environment that can promote cyanobacteria growth. The Red Sea product is a blend of ethanol vinegar and sugar, and likely methanol.

The carbon dosing method has the ability to remove nitrates very quickly and phosphates rather slowly. When nitrates become limited, it no longer effectively removes phosphate and that is why many aquarists use GFO along with carbon dosing.

“If your scrubber is built right, you'll have a screen-full in 7 days, and you'll be on your way. Let's see it”.

Thanks Santa Monica. I am away from home at the moment and will be for the next couple of weeks. I have left the tank in the care of my wife. I am hoping that it will indeed be running well when I get home. I will post photos when I can.

“Carbon source dosing is a valid method, and there is a reason it did not work correctly.

Rapidly changing filtration methods can have disastrous effects. A common complaint of carbon dosing is that is leads to a n environment that can promote cyanobacteria growth. The Red Sea product is a blend of ethanol vinegar and sugar, and likely methanol.

The carbon dosing method has the ability to remove nitrates very quickly and phosphates rather slowly. When nitrates become limited, it no longer effectively removes phosphate and that is why many aquarists use GFO along with carbon dosing.”

Thanks Iggy. I could never get a stable dosing regime for PO4. I could get it down to zero but then when I reduced the dosage to try and let it creep up a little, (I believe you are supposed to aim for a small amount of PO4 with the Red Sea method) then the readings would shoot up again. My SPS did not like this at all and I lost several nice corals.

What is GFO?

Home at last. Here are some pictures of my screen prior to cleaning - front and back views.
    I have two 30w 2700k stick bulbs, one on each side.
    My PO4 readings are a 0.2mg/l.
    Nitrates are zero.

Your comments are welcome.

Thanks

Tim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7238.jpg‎
Views:	252
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	1631   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7239.jpg‎
Views:	289
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	1630  

Looks like your scrubber is coming along just fine.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

Administrator
    That's very good; a few more cleaning and it should lighten up. Could use a bit more light if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by kerry View Post
    Looks like your scrubber is coming along just fine.
    Thanks Kerry.

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
    That's very good; a few more cleaning and it should lighten up. Could use a bit more light if you want.
    Thanks Santa Monica.

I turned my protein skimmer off today. I will keep you informed of the progress and maybe post up some tank shots in time.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information