+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Clownfish Breeding Newbie

Banned
    3rd batch hatched last night. It is the biggest collection I have ever got out of a hatch. I used a hose this time to siphon them out. 1st batch, using turkey baster, I got around 25 babies. 2nd batch I attempted to pull the rock out that had the eggs the night of the hatch and I messed up somehow and only got 11 babies to survive, most didn't hatch. I am just trying to refine my methods now to get the best success rate, and it seems sucking them out with a hose is the best method.

I've heard siphoning them is the best method as well, Ace.

What I've had luck with is shining a flashlight from the top down near the water line, causing the babies to swim up, and then scooping them out with a measuring cup. This way they are never exposed to open air, all while using the water to fill up the nursery tank.

Banned
    Batch 3 - Day 6

Batch 1 - Day 34

Ace, what are you feeding them on at day 6?

Banned
    Day 6 is still rotifers.. day 7 I start to add a tiny pinch of OTO-A, and ween them off rotifers between day 7-14. Usually days 12-14 is when they go through meta, get their color and head stripe comes in, and from that point on they eat only dried foods, OTO-B1 for weeks 2-3, mix in OTO-B2 between week 3-4, and by week 4 they are eating OTO-B2 and Spectrum small fish pellets.

Here is a video from yesterday.

Video of the BIG batch that I just took, 15 days old, top down.

Banned
    Update. Moved all of them into 1 tank once they got old enough to not kill each other.. then dummy me thought they were strong enough to handle a small powerhead and woke up the next morning to half a dozen dead ones stuck to it.. live and learn. I gave away 4 so far to someone from Los Angeles last week (along with about $1000 worth of corals for free).

Be sure to press the Gear Icon on the bottom once you hit play to pick 720p to see detail in the video.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread Information