+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question - When you feed frozen cubes, do you bother defrosting and rinsing them first?

Banned
    I guess my point of reference is from using a DIY food, for which most of the ingredients are rinsed (besides the cyclopeeze and a spirulina brine shrimp, etc) but then I add Coral Frenzy as well as other coral supplements so there's no way I'd rinse my food.

Banned
    Your method sounds perfect Floyd. DIY food is clean and your right, you certainly don't want to rinse after adding cyclopeeze, spirulina, or any other small coral type food because they will get washed off if you do. I have never done any testing on DIY food, closest I tried was Rod's food but even with a brine shrimp net and 100 micron filter you still get to many small particles to make phosphate testing possible.

Your post reminded me I had a full bottle of BRS Reef Chili sitting under my tank. Perfect food for my baby clownfish. As soon as I walked in the door I grabbed it and made a quick bottle and dumped it in the fry tank and they went to town munching away. I am still shocked I am having the success I am with the babies so far, I honestly didn't think they would have made it past 48 hrs.

Administrator
    If you are adding organic food, live or dead, then N and P will always be proportional (redfield ratio) since it's all from animals. So actually, the more food/waste you add, the more it brings the system back to "balance". Only if you add N directly (calcium nitrate) or P directly (potassium phosphate) could you really change the balance.

Banned
    Unless the "source water" that is used to freeze the food in is laden with phosphates, which appears that way to me from my tests. My readings were 10 nitrates and 2.0 phosphates on the cup of water I tested. To me that seems exceptionally out of balance.

I don't think this is a problem that will happen quickly if you toss frozen foods directly into the tank, it could take years to reach a point it has a negative impact depending on different factors, but I think it is something everyone should at least know about so they have the knowledge to decide what is best for them. Actually, I would encourage anyone to try their own tests with different foods and post results, that would be some good information to have.

If your lazy and just want to toss frozen cubes in, and understand you may need to add some GFO every once in a while, then go that route. Nothing wrong with being lazy about certain things if that's your style. I am certainly lazy about doing certain things around the house myself, not really fish related though, but still, we all have our things.

I get a very strong feeding response with PE Mysis whole cubes. Some corals, milli's especially, are all fuzzy and crazy. I need to get a pick of it...

I agree 100% about being nitrate limited, and minimizing any PO4 input. I can't get my PO4 under .05 ppm.

Just love knowing my corals are getting fed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information