+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 660nm and coral growth

660nm and coral growth

i read something on here about 660nm and coral growth and something about they cannot control the amount of 660nm light they recieve and i cant seem to find it again. if someone could link me the article if they recall it i am trying to talk a friend out of the 660nms above his display but wants proof

thanks

Banned
    http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2004/6/aafeature

Red light on a display.. bottom line is you have to be very careful. No one really knows how much is too much, and since corals have no defense mechanism for too much red light the only way to know is for the coral to bleach, and I certainly don't want to be the guinea pig to find out where the line is. I still run 4 warm white LEDs on my 75G and that is plenty of red for my preference. So far the Radion users are not complaining of any ill effects, so a little red seems ok but make sure you can dim them down really low by themselves. I think 1 OSRAM 660nm light run at no more than 350mA would be more than enough for a 36"x36" foot print, for the goal of adding red to please our eyes and bring out the colors the red spectrum brings out. I think the biggest drawback of adding red LEDs on a display is there is no doubt you are going to have increased algae growing in it.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information