+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A new commercially available scrubber

Banned

A new commercially available scrubber

Was looking onto overflow boxes and stumbled upon this.

http://www.reefshops.com/algae-turf-...ts-filter.html

First commercially available scrubber I've seen aside from SM's ones.

Not sure it'd do much good though.

Banned
    Very interesting and nice find. I think we all know on this forum that that design is not very good compared to the ones we use, that is more like Adey's original design. First time I have seen anything commercially available as well. Really funny part is it seems they chose to place it over a display tank to take the pictures, not sure if that is the intended method, but there is a clownfish in the picture indicating that is a display tank. Seems that type of ATS would really block the light to the display/corals if installed the way they picture it. The way the water drains though, it seems if you place it in a sump where the water level is considerably lower that the rim of the tank you would get a lot of water splashing/salt creep everywhere.

Banned
    the description says its designed to sit on top of the filtration tank.. or sump is what i cal it... I doubt it would have enough light and flow not to mention the screen doesnt look to be nearly rough enough... but its an idea... with a few mods.. a rough screen over the top.. red leds and a bit more flow.. maybe straight from the overflow of the tank.. maybe it can work... but I can't see it working good the way it is.

Banned
    Agreed. It's pretty crap really. Although I thought the sliding design to allow it to fit a range of spans was quite clever. And I guess with (what looks like) the hinged end, you could angle it to make it more vertical.

What I thought was interesting though is that someone has decided to mass produce scrubbers and sell them at a lowish price. First time I've seen that. More to come?

Administrator
    It's pretty neat. Good for nano's with big display lights. It's what I built in December 2008...
    http://algaescrubber.net/forums/show...highlight=nano

For $30 (retail?) for a new FW aquarium owner who does not want waterchanges or an extra scrubber light, it's look good. You can always, of course put some screen in there.

It won't work very well for sumps or larger tanks, but I don't think it's meant for that. It also won't match a 2-sided screen, but again it's probably not meant for those situations. It looks like it's meant for beginners, which is the largest segment of the hobby.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information