+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Phyto and LED

If you were aiming that at me Kerry, no, they are my pods.

Oh, I seen the green liquid and thought you may have been talking about the phyto you have been growing. So those are containers with your pods and you are feeding them your phyto. I got ya.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

Banned
    Well, I already have to take back what I said.. lol. Last time I bought a big bottle of phyto I did so for my tank (don't ask why, I don't have an answer). It lasted years before I tossed out about 1/2 a bottle, so I couldn't understand how one could use enough to warrant growing it at home... until... last week.

I got my Rotifer kit from Reef Nutrition, came with an 8oz bottle of "Rotifer Food" which is supposed to be super enriched phyto. Says on the bottle it lasts 2 months for feeding rotifers. Well, I split up the rotifer bag into 5 containers to ensure I always have at least 1 or 2 good ones even if others crash. I can always re-seed them with good ones.. that was my thinking before I started. Now.. wow.. 1 week later, 1/2 a bottle of phyto gone already, about 20G of 1.018 saltwater used because of the daily maintenance. I didn't even think of how much water it was going to take for rotifers and I ended up using 5G buckets, 5 of them each filled with 4G. That is 5G a day in water replacement. I quickly realized I needed to downsize, so I bought 4 1G containers and just kept 1 5G bucket so now I just have to change 2G of water a day, which is still quite a bit just to grow rotifers. I also had to order a large 16oz bottle of phyto already, $28+shipping, so over $40 just for a replacement bottle that will probably last at most 2 months.

So.. long story short, I now understand the need to grow your own phyto and will be doing so myself shortly because the cost of buying it is way too cost prohibitive for me long term. So keep us updated on the LEDs, and try and remove the CLF and replace it with LEDs on the other side so we can have some really good data on if it works and how well.

Marksfish, Greetings

Tell that to the past with this, it is more feasible the growth of phytoplankton with 660nm LED????

Unortunately my culture crashed. I think it was because I wasn't cleaning the containers properly and ot the light. I will be using them on my new culture which is brewing up nicely now.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information