+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scrubber for seahorse tank?

Okay so a screen that is vertical 6"x10" and lit with about 30w on each side and an 18 hour photo period. Does that sound correct for my needs?

EDIT: Also will my lower temps require different parameters, IE time between cleanings, amount of light, etc...?
    Thread with my current build of UAS: Here
    150g seahorse system:
    75g seahorse DT
    25g deep sand bed fuge and cheato tumbler
    55g sump
    40g fuge for pod production

Arduino based controller for dimmable LEDS and lights over fuges, heater/chiller, ATO and RO/DI production.
    Temps run between 70-73*F.

Photos of the horses and DT:http://s161.photobucket.com/albums/t...mbo/Seahorses/

Administrator
    Sounds right. Use good reflectors to get all of the light to the screen.

Temp should not matter or change. It might cool off just a bit.

so if you were planning on using a properly sized scrubber on a fish only tank, would u reccomend a protein skimmer?

Also with all the talk of the new scrubber design coming soon. Would it be worth my time waiting to see what it is before building my own? I don't want to buy the bits and then kick myself for making a poorer version...
    150g seahorse system:
    75g seahorse DT
    55g sump

Arduino based controller for dimmable LEDS and lights over fuges, heater/chiller, ATO and RO/DI production.

Photos of the horses and DT:http://s161.photobucket.com/albums/t...mbo/Seahorses/

+1

Administrator
    I'd wait.

If the FO tank has no small fish that eat food particles floating around, then a skimmer will help. Although, you could just use a slightly stronger scrubber and save the expense and the space and the cleaning.

Sorry I hadn't mentioned it before but I've got a bunch of leathers, mushrooms and kenya trees. No SPS though. And other than the 4 H. Erectus seahorses I have a 5" pink spotted shrimp goby and a 3" yellow watchman. But it sounds like once I get the scrubber running properly I could remove my skimmer.

So I think I'm pretty set on adding a ATS, but I'm concerned about retarding my macro growth. Would supplementing iron increase my overall algae growth, macro and scrubber?
    150g seahorse system:
    75g seahorse DT
    55g sump

Administrator
    Not really, unless you were over-lighting or under-flowing the scrubber.

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
    I'd wait.

If the FO tank has no small fish that eat food particles floating around, then a skimmer will help. Although, you could just use a slightly stronger scrubber and save the expense and the space and the cleaning.
    At the moment its just a mappa puffer. In the future i want to add a large angel and a large tang. These fish all need high oxygen levels which is why im drawn to the ATS. Do you think id be better off with both a skimmer and an ATS or just a larger sized ATS?

Administrator
    Depends on how much space you have, how much noise you want, and how much weekly cleaning you want to do.

A strong scrubber, by itself, can do all the filtering. But you really need strong wattage when you are feeding a lot of food to aggressive fish. 12 real watts, per cube of food, per day, minimum. For high nutrient tanks, I'd double that wattage. But keep the screen the same size.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information