+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: KALK question

KALK question

I have been making my own KALK (lime water) to top off my tank. The question I have is this, do you need to have the storage container its in tightly sealed. I have a liter bottle I does it from which is vented so it can not be sealed tightly but, does the storage container have to be? I noticed the white stuff on the bottom seemed to accumulate more over a few days it was in a bucket and this was after it all settled in the first couple hours. I was thinking that if this stuff on the bottom is accumulating that it maybe pulling the calcium out of the solutions. I read that CO2 caused this white stuff. Am I right in thinking it should be covered and if its not the concentration of calcium is getting less? Also does anyone know if a high ALK will cause less calcium, my ALK is over 14??!!!
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

Banned
    Yes, Kalk needs to be air tight. If exposed to air, increasingly large amounts of calcium will be precipitated from the kalkwasser over time thereby lowering its potency. I mix 5G of Kalk mix in a old Reef Crystals bucket, type with a screw on lid and rubber gasket. I always fill it to the rim to avoid any air getting inside. When I use it I scoop out what I need (usually about 1/2) then refill the bucket with RO/DI and give it a quick stir to mix it up and immediately put the lid back on.

If your Alk is over 14, stop dosing kalk (or anything else that may raise Alk, like any buffers). That is way to high and will likely lead to severe coral damage/death. Let the Alk levels drop naturally over the next couple weeks to a safe level. If you have to, just dose CA suppliment to keep CA above 360.

So I should be dosing calcium chloride and not calcium hydroxide?
    150G. Reef/Mix
    75G. 20+ Africans
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.

Administrator
    Mine forms a solid layer at the top, which stops further evaporation/transformation.

Banned
    Calcium Chloride is what I dose to raise calcium by itself. Calcium Hydroxide is Kalk, which will raise both CA and Alk levels. If your Alk is at 14 now I would only use Calcium Chloride for the next few weeks until your Alk levels drop back down to around 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace25 View Post
    Calcium Chloride is what I dose to raise calcium by itself. Calcium Hydroxide is Kalk, which will raise both CA and Alk levels. If your Alk is at 14 now I would only use Calcium Chloride for the next few weeks until your Alk levels drop back down to around 9.
    Thank you Sir.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    75G. 20+ Africans
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.

Does anyone have a product they buy in place of buying the fish type brands. I know the ice melt products are the same but try finding ice melting stuff in Louisiana?? I have found some moisture absorber but it had a couple % of sodium and potassium chloride in it as well. Would that be suitable. For the time I just bought some liquid Kents stuff from the local.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    75G. 20+ Africans
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.

I have found some calcium chloride at my local pool place. Any one have any idea how much to add per gallon? Looks like from what I see on line its about a tea to table spoon. I can always check PPM but a good place to start can save a lot of time.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    75G. 20+ Africans
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.

Here is a nice bit of info this subject of dosing http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2004/4/chemistry .
    150G. Reef/Mix
    75G. 20+ Africans
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.

Banned
    I personally would only use products made for an aquarium. Too much risk of contamination IMO. It's not like Kalk costs that much anyways considering the cost of a problem in your tank.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information