+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help getting green

Administrator
    Same

Popped in a 4th baffle, which was pretty easy, just purchased a piece of perspex cut to size and slotted it right in, nice firm fit, no glueing needed, 5 mins to install, i should've done this sooner.
    Set the dial on my pump to max, which will make it about 800 LPH, only slightly more flow but at least now micro bubbles have been reduced.
    Dropped hours to 8.
    Ordered some Seachem Flourish Iron, my LFS didnt have it in stock but should be here in a day or 2, so ill dose the iron and report back when i do my next cleaning.

I dissolve one Fergon tablet in 100 ml of water. I have been dosing 3 ml of that solution once a day. 45 gal plus sump, about 50 gals. Got the Fergon at the drug store, it is an iron supplement. You have to watch which iron supplement you get and Fergon has the correct active ingredient. Do a search for which ones are good to use or not.

Kent

Quote Originally Posted by kentth View Post
    I dissolve one Fergon tablet in 100 ml of water. I have been dosing 3 ml of that solution once a day. 45 gal plus sump, about 50 gals. Got the Fergon at the drug store, it is an iron supplement. You have to watch which iron supplement you get and Fergon has the correct active ingredient. Do a search for which ones are good to use or not.

Kent
    Thanks mate, i did some researching, Seachem Flourish Iron is based off Ferrous Iron (fe+2) Gluconate which i think is similar to Fergon.
    I've read multiple accounts of people using Seachem Flourish Iron in their reef tanks mainly for supplementing macro algae, i couldn't find any negative feedback on it so ill give it a go.

How did iron dosing work for you?

Quote Originally Posted by jaz View Post
    How did iron dosing work for you?
    Oh just read your thread Kentth, so iron did make a difference for you, thats cool, hopefully it does the same for me.

Banned
    I like Kent's Iron & Manganese

I am not really sure if it has made a difference or not. I am still attempting to dial in the length of time on the lights and the Iron dosing. At this point am attempting to only vary one variable at a time. So this week I am going to keep dosing the iron at 3ml a day, but bumped the time to 17 hours. The only problem is, that since there is not a good way to check your iron level, you do not know how much residual iron you have in the system, once you quit dosing.

Kent

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
    I like Kent's Iron & Manganese
    Sounds like an interesting concoction.
    Soluble potash (K20) 3%
    iron 0.24%
    manganese 0.01%
    modybdenum 0.000005%
    zinc 0.00014%

Are you currently dosing with this product?
    If so, how is it working out for you?

My Seachem Flourish Iron arrived today so ive done my first dose, it has a higher concentration of iron 1%.
    Not really sure on how often i should be dosing, it gives directions on how much to dose based on tank water volume but doesn't tell you the frequency....doh!
    However it does mention that recommended levels should be 0.10 mg/L which is nice but ive read that test kits for iron aren't very accurate.
    I guess its gonna be trial and error.

Banned
    haven't used it in a while...

I have used what Floyd does but, only dose it about once a week just to be sure I have some in the system.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information