+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: led spacing question

led spacing question

I am planning to use 3w LEDs for a scrubber. How closely together can/should the LEDs be placed?

Banned
    It depends on the distance between the screen and the LEDs to figure out the spacing, but 2" between LEDs is good to start with.

Thanks. What do you consider the minimum distance from the LEDs to the screen?

Banned
    I have found between 2-3" to be the best distance for 3w LEDs with 2" spacing. Anything greater than 3" and the intensity starts to drop off dramatically which means you would need more LEDs and spaced closer to make up for a greater distance, and under 2" is very easy to burn the algae on the screen and not get good coverage.

What about if u use 1W LEDs can u get closer? I was planning on doing a scrubber for in 18 gallon reef above the tank I was going to use 3W LEDs spaced 2 inches apart & about half an inch away from the screen until I read this article. I really want to keep this thing as narrow as possible. The screen size is 7.5" W x 3" H. I was going to use two 3W LEDs on each side of the screen. Now what?

I have only used the 3W LED's and after testing these I would not attempt a build with 1W LED's. The screen on my 10G nano is a vertical 2.75" x 4.5". I use two 3W 660nm LEDs on each side which is perfect in my case. It would be hard to get any more LED's into this build, so with 1W LED's the little star boards they come on would have to be side-by-side. I guess you could but it would be really tight and you would need to have the 1W LED's CLOSER then the 3W LED's. The 1W LED's just seem like they would be harder to work with IMHO.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

Ok, but how close to the screen are your LEDs? I was also thinking of adding a 465nm after reading ace25s posts. This is going to be my first tank since getting back in to the hobby after a 15 year hiatus. I've never before run LEDs or ATSs. ATS means (algae turf scrubbers) correct?

Mine are about 1.5" away. I thought about using and have bought some blues but, do not think they would work very well unless one could have a 456 in the middle then immediately surrounded by four 660. You would need a lot of overlap from the red. I also thought about running the blue with less power then my reds as this might help to.
    Yes, Algae turf scrubber=ATS. Seeing there are copy rights on that stuff they call these type algae scrubbers as these really use algae and not the turf type algae anyhow.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

so what about using a 1W 465 with the 660s at 3W?

Banned
    Mixing 1w and 3w LEDs just adds another level of complexity because then you have to worry about 2 types of drivers (350mA and 700mA). If your ok with that, then there is no reason it can't be done. Also if you use 2 types of LEDs then it is really hard to get the distance correct because 3w you want at least 2" away from the screen where as with 1w you want it around 1" from the screen. 1" actually makes a big difference in regards to LED intensity.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information