+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The new Upflow Algae Scrubber (UAS)

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
    It will take some time to figure out the best running conditions. The waterfall version went for a year or two before it was realized that you need stronger light; until then it only grew dark brown or black.
    That is the reason i think it is exiting to participate in this group, testing for the right conditions.

I find another big advantage whith this upstream scrubbers, when using this "in tank" version in my nano reef the evaporation is mutch less. I guess my previous scrubber with an overflow edge outlet design resulted in increased evaporation.

Jnad

Well I have a 5 days after the system boots, two-sided illumination with 660 nm LED, 6 per side, at a distance of 6 cm of the mesh, even with some bubbles down, but still no growth of algae

photoperiod 20 on 4 off

regards

Administrator
    Nothing on the edges?

When I get home I see in more detail

Administrator
    I am thinking that a UAS screen will be able to handle much stronger light than a waterfall. The 11 watt CFL I'm running now is only a half inch from the screen, and the growth is still dark green, and it's mostly directly in front of the bulb. I'm seeing white patches farther away from the bulb, and I'm guessing that the pods are eating the growth faster than it can grow there. I've not seen any yellow growth at all, like I did with the waterfall on this same tank.

Banned
    I would like to believe the stronger light idea, but right now I'm defying that. I have 6x 660 and 1x 455 on each side running at 700mA and 1.5" front the screen on average and zero green for over 10 days. Maybe SW just takes longer, or LEDs are just too intense. I guess those are the big questions right now.
    Last edited by SantaMonica; 04-28-2012 at 02:58 AM.

Administrator
    They don't have one yet.

What's the measurements? I have pretty high N.

Banned
    in which tank? The goldfish tank or your 90?

Administrator
    Gold. Maybe if higher lighting is needed, then lower lighting would not grow much with lower nutrinets.

I have the parts settled, need to find time too install it nicely. Hopefully this weekend..

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information