+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The new Upflow Algae Scrubber (UAS)

Administrator
    I'm noticing now, that after a cleaning the screen will appear to grow but will have white spots on the screen from pods, presumably from micro pods. As nutrients build up in the water, all of a sudden on about the 3rd day, the screen is covered in green the next morning, presumably because the growth was so fast (catching up with nutrients) that the micro pods could not keep up.

At least that's how the current size screen, with the current lighting, with the current feeding, is working. This of course does not explain why the same does would not occur in a waterfall. Or maybe it does, but the waterfalls or so much better operated that it's not noticed.

Banned
    tebo, did you start with a brand new screen, or with an existing screen from your other scrubber?

Administrator
    Measurements today with a full screen: 0, 0, 5

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
    The bubbles only rubbed the screen at the bottom?
    yes only there

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
    tebo, did you start with a brand new screen, or with an existing screen from your other scrubber?
    Clean the old completely, then scrape again and then clean it, then put in place

The truth is that basically got the same growth in the previous configuration, which was where the bubbles hit, the rest just passed by without touching the screen

The important thing is as you said santa monica, contact of the bubbles with the screen should be complete

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tebo View Post
    Clean the old completely, then scrape again and then clean it, then put in place

The truth is that basically got the same growth in the previous configuration, which was where the bubbles hit, the rest just passed by without touching the screen

The important thing is as you said santa monica, contact of the bubbles with the screen should be complete
    Ok, good to know, because we all started with a brand new screen and your looked like you were getting much more growth! I'm guessing about half that try this will do it with their current screen.

Banned
    The only comment I have is on the LEDs, when you say 2 LEDs and a total of 6 watts, that is only one LED per side of a 3x4 screen. it kind of depends on the current you push through them. But 1 led for a 3x4 screen is probably a good start, probably a minimum, assuming it's running at full power. 2 LEDs per side at 2W would probably be better. And again nothing is fully proven as far as distance from the screen. Lots of unknowns. What will probably happen is anyone who has a current screen will put that cured screen underwater and will end up with immediate results, while people starting from scratch will get different results such as like what I am getting.

I've got the LEDs done and the "upflow" box done. I hope to get it installed this weekend, but between the soccer games, tennis matches and scout meetings, we'll see.

Love it!! I kinda guessed that this was the new direction and have been planning ever since SM dropped the air stone hint... I have planned to knock up a acrylic box kinda like a sm100 on its side (standing tall) next to the tank. Im going to use two long strips of canvas around 2 x 16 each. I am going to zip tie some kind of wieght ( probly a acrylic rod, I have a friend in the plastics industry, ) to the screens to wieght them down and have a 4 inch air stone in the bottom. This will allow me to just slip them out one by one out of the top for easy cleaning. It will pump into the bottom and overflow back into the tank.... I was thinking to really slow down the supply flow to the box to increase contact time???
    I am going to test with just one sided light, being a 2 x 24w t5. Thats 64 inches at 48watts, hmmmm.... how do you think this will fair...
    has anyone experienced long green hair with these yet.... how does the air fair in keeping the hair suspended.....ha... thats a bit of poetry...

mick

You were on the right track!!
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

Administrator
    Mine get really thick green by 7 days. I'll post it soon.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information