+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The new Upflow Algae Scrubber (UAS)

Banned
    Yeah but that defeats the purpose of the screen staying submerged when you lose power. The system would back-siphon and empty the box.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
    Yeah but that defeats the purpose of the screen staying submerged when you lose power. The system would back-siphon and empty the box.
    wouldnt the risk be similar in top-bottom flows as well? in the event of a power outage (and we get LOTS of them in here) and by the time the generators have powered on, the box would have drained by the action of gravity...right? or am I missing somehting?

Yeah but that defeats the purpose of the screen staying submerged when you loose power. The system would back-siphon and empty the box.
    If the pump stays submerged and the exit tube as well, there will be no back syphon at all.
    As no air can get in it

PS:

Look at this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=likPr...feature=relmfu

Banned
    Yeah I saw that one a week or so ago

Mine is a UAS

Waterfall scrubbers will inherently drain and dry out on an extended power outage or pump clog (which happened to me once). With a submerged screen this cannot happen.

Maybe you're talking about something else, but with a box above the tank or sump and a pump feeding it, if the outlet from the pump into the scrubber box is at the bottom of the box, when the power goes off the flow will gravity feed back down through the feed hose and drain the box. This is why my pump outlet is at the top above the water level. There's zero chance of the screen drying out. The power would have to be out for 3 days before the screen starts to die.

Now if you're talking about a box that sits beside the sump, then on power outage the water level would equalize.

No, i'm talking about having the "box UAS thingy" sitting above the sump level (it's ugly to have stuff around a nice looking tank).

If the pump feeding it is below water level, and the hose coming back down from the "box UAS thingy" is below water as well it will not drain.
    Of course it needs to be a sealed "box UAS thingy" .......

Banned
    Hey guys as far as reflective materials.. what are we talking about.. mirrors?.. whats reef safe?

Banned
    Jason, you are missing something here. If you have a box that sits on top of a sump, with the pump in the sump and the outlet for that pump at the bottom of a box that sits on top of the sump, such that the water is fed into the bottom of the box and exits/drains out the top, when you cut the power to the pump the water has no choice but to drain out through the supply hose. There's just no other way around it, unless you out a check valve in place, or unless you have the feed pipe go up over the top edge of the box and down to the bottom, then add a siphon break.

If you do as you just described, there's just no other conclusion.

If you had a "sealed" box for your UAS, you wouldn't be able to pump water into it because there would be no exit. If there was an exit, air would get sucked back in through the exit, unless the exit line was underwater in the sump as well. But then the air from the venturi would cause this and that and whatever. Your logic is completely failing me.

It came into my mind before! You worked it out, amazing!

Jason

No need to seal anything. Both inlet and outlet has to be made in upper part of box. Nothing in the bottom.
    To make flow on screen to go upwards you will need to add one bafle at the inlet end. Done.

Jason, you are missing something here. If you have a box that sits on top of a sump, with the pump in the sump and the outlet for that pump at the bottom of a box that sits on top of the sump, such that the water is fed into the bottom of the box and exits/drains out the top, when you cut the power to the pump the water has no choice but to drain out through the supply hose. There's just no other way around it, unless you out a check valve in place, or unless you have the feed pipe go up over the top edge of the box and down to the bottom, then add a siphon break.

If you do as you just described, there's just no other conclusion.

If you had a "sealed" box for your UAS, you wouldn't be able to pump water into it because there would be no exit. If there was an exit, air would get sucked back in through the exit, unless the exit line was underwater in the sump as well. But then the air from the venturi would cause this and that and whatever. Your logic is completely failing me.
    OK, so I guess I badly express my self, and it's pretty obvious to understand......

So read carefully what I say:

LOL I did not say much actually

I this easyier to picture ? instead of a U shaped tube, you have a sealed box with the entry point connected to a pump, below water level in the sump, and the exit comes down below water level in the sump as well.........it will NEVER empty as air cannot go in, SIMPLE.

As for the bubbles, they will stop being produced as the same time the pump stups, because the pump + venturi is making them.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information