+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The new Upflow Algae Scrubber (UAS)

Administrator
    due to the boundary layer being much bigger, which is what you always say is what makes the ATS work, right?
    No, smaller is better.

You have to see the "bucket waterfall" design here
    Yes, there is a reason I posted this simple one first.

what about using a venturi system on a powerhead to deliver the air instead?
    Taken care of

However I think salt creep prevention, especially if you plan to not change a lot of water, is really very crucial
    Taken care of

The main problem I see in the new design is algae growing on the walls of the scrubber chamber/walls of the tank. Is this actually a problem?
    A toothbrush should fix it.

one of these setups would be pretty awesome for raising baby fish
    Yes fish do love to eat fresh green algae.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace25 View Post
    While the limitations are obvious by going horizontal, that is actually an intriguing idea. A 6x6 screen laying just below the water surface (because as we all know, most of the bad stuff in the water is at/near the surface), round air stone below and LEDs above. Seems that idea is much better than the original one. Obviously I would still have issues with the airpump/stone in a reef tank, but like you said, in a baby fish grow out tank it actually sounds like a great idea.
    Large complex molecules like proteins, ect... will tend to be attracted to the surface, but inorganic chemicals are not attracted to the air-water interface... which is why skimmers can't remove nitrates or phosphates directly.

I think that it would look really cool to do a freshwater tank with a giant RUGF based on algae instead of gravel, it would look pretty damn weird, but fish would absolutely thrive in that kind of environment.

I might just put a tank in a window with a vertical air-powered ATS in the back (hidden by black plastic) and let the sun do the work. Not to mention, anecdotally, freshwater fish (and I'm sure SW fish) do better when exposed to the sun and colour up better. My favorite tetra, Corynopoma Riisei, looks like it is carved out of opal when the sun hits it... more beautiful than anything I've ever seen in a reef tank.

Banned
    A ventri method is just like I said in my very first post, putting a screen inside a skimmer. Seems that isn't a good idea because of the microbubbles, are microbubbles now ok, a few hours later? This is SOOOO confusing having different information going around already.

And you confused the heck out of me.. boundary layer critical.. now less boundary layer is better?

Administrator
    most of the bad stuff in the water is at/near the surface
    You mean most of the good stuff (food, oils). The bad stuff (nitrate, phosphate) is invisible and concentrated more around the rocks and sand.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fauxjargon View Post
    Large complex molecules like proteins, ect... will tend to be attracted to the surface, but inorganic chemicals are not attracted to the air-water interface... which is why skimmers can't remove nitrates or phosphates directly.
    Skimmers remove N/P, they just do it at an earlier stage when the compounds are in a state where they can attach to bubbles (larger food particles). Once they break down to raw elements of N/P, it won't attach to the bubbles to be removed, which is where algae comes in to play.

SM, there is a giant column of air bubbles below the screen that is at the surface, are you saying in an empty breeder tank the flow created by the air bubbles will not push the N/P to the surface where the screen is at?

Just read all the way through and to say I am confused is putting it mildly.

Cheaper to make and run. What about the £150.00 I have spent over the last 3 months building an ATS. Wasted?

I have only been keeping SW fish for 7 years and I have never had any equipment in the DT except for power heads and they are neccessary. All my equipment goes into the sump, incl. my ATS.

I am with ACE25 so far untill I see some results from this new one.

Dennis

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisC View Post
    Just read all the way through and to say I am confused is putting it mildly.

Cheaper to make and run. What about the £150.00 I have spent over the last 3 months building an ATS. Wasted?

I have only been keeping SW fish for 7 years and I have never had any equipment in the DT except for power heads and they are neccessary. All my equipment goes into the sump, incl. my ATS.

I am with ACE25 so far untill I see some results from this new one.

Dennis
    You have not wasted your money. It's still does what you wanted it to do. It's just there's a new kid on the block. Upgrade at your convenience.

Just stick with the 1 that works for you.

And maybe you'll try the airstone thingy just to satisfy your curiosity

I believe if you really think about it, this design is going to be much harder to DIY at the same levels the waterfall design has had success with... Much like a cone skimmer is much harder, if not impossible for a standard DIYer to make, this new design will get features that will be hard if not impossible to DIY...

Banned
    How do you know what the design is. Perhaps I have missed a key post!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information