+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The new Upflow Algae Scrubber (UAS)

Banned
    Ok well I have a 120 gallon tank with no filtration at all right now, just a few power heads. I was going to put one of my L1 scrubbers on it for a tester for that. now I'm thinking that I should build the box w/o the bottom drain and try top of tank again with this new design. Since I won't have to deal with massive flow through the box creating microbubbles in the tank I bet it would work much better. Going to be hard keeping that secret if I have someone come over to pick something up and they want to look at my tank.

I also have a couple 10g tanks and could do some FW. might get to it this weekend.

This is great
    no slot tube
    can't dry out on outage
    no need to shut off flow to clean
    I could go on

Main question though is related to my scrubber boxes I am building now. This is my prototype L2 without the bottom hole for the bulkhead, which I forgot to drill before bonding.

(Looking back on it, I'm thinking that forgetting this hole was somehow meant to be)

I can't see how there are any implications for me selling this box as a type-I scrubber. Converting this to a type-2 is simple as I previously described. However the second this hits the general public in May I guarantee you I am going to get people wanting one made for the type 2 scrubber (i.e. no bulkhead in bottom, etc). So how do I handle that with all your embodiments etc?

Administrator
    Well this is Technology #1 Embodiment #1. You would just do a $5 diy reseller license for each one you make that uses it.

You can get airstones as large as you want. Here's a 12-incher for $2.99. They make them for ponds that are huge. You can also get bubble tubing that you can shape.

Banned
    Ok, so I can package this however I want, make an acrylic box specifically for the bubble-up scrubber and an LED light fixture, and since T1E1 uses just an airstone and screen then I am not stepping on any tech toes?

Administrator
    Yes scaling up will not be a problem.

is there any reason the screen has to be attached to the air stone?
    Last edited by SantaMonica; 04-19-2012 at 06:40 PM.

Administrator
    Yes I think the box you described is a generic box, and not a planned embodiment. Would help to see pics though.

any issues with very tall designs or long ones?

Administrator
    No it does not have to be attached; the bubbles just have to rub the screen.

Administrator
    Any size works very similar; cleaning is the main issue.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information