+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The new Upflow Algae Scrubber (UAS)

Ok just figured out something...

my original thought was that tying the screen would help in the cleaning process...just take the entire rod off along with the screen, scrub it and return...but I just figured I will need a way to keep screen in the air flow's path....maybe have the entire system to be removable? I mean secure screen to rod and airstone using zip ties or similar...just disconnect airstone from pump when need to wash and replace/reconnect when done...

I liked the epoxy idea proposed by Floyd to cover up all the sides of the stone thereby directing flow upwards only...would aquarium safe silicone be a good alternative? dunno about finding safe epoxy over here

so basically, to get back:

airstone sealed at 3 sides, leaving just the top side open to allow air out.

screen fastened to stone at the bottom and rod at the top.

rod rests on sumps edge...

since its all still on the theoretical side, im thinking if the first chamber will have enough of a water column to cover the screen up, since it will be the in-flow of water from the tank... maybe if i made the screen wider (40cm) with less height...SM would there be a difference impacting growth? I mean the intent is to have water covering the entire screen right? if water column is not too high, then i guess compensation would have to be done with the width to achieve desired surface area...

Administrator
    That what Doompie did. However the mirror will be blocked out in a few days.

Other idea will be to make a setup like those designed for engraving PCB like this:

But with an entry point and exit for the water to flow through, and you can even put lights on each side

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
    That what Doompie did. However the mirror will be blocked out in a few days.
    OKK...you are right SM...

sorry but its been nearly 36 hours up with practically no sleep (upgrading local operator 3G network and had some issues...)

since I dont want to play with immersed lights (esp the DIY part) I guess I'd have to look into something else...what about the angles used in your first post on this thread? is it any good? or maybe use two one-sided screens instead of one two sided...which is better you think?

Administrator
    2-sided screens are always better; gets twice the light to the roots, which keeps the roots alive twice as long.

you are right SM...

thinking of placing the screen in the middle section of the sump and lighting from both sides...but we are talking of around 40 cm width...which means if screen is in the middle, there will be 20cm on each side from the glass wall of the sump...if I place my lights there, thats like almost 8" away from lights...do u think its too far for positive growth?

this is what I mean:

Click image for larger version

Name:	screen in middle chamber with lights on side.jpg
Views:	858
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	2204

i could cover the entire section with plexiglass or just glass to prevent splashes and evaporation...

Why not, for an external use an acrylic box, like the nano 1 made by SM, but fed from the bottom with a powerhead + venturi going though a perforated or slotted tube, and the exit at the top ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Why not, for an external use an acrylic box, like the nano 1 made by SM, but fed from the bottom with a powerhead + venturi going though a perforated or slotted tube, and the exit at the top ?

you mean there is only water flowing past the screen?

you mean there is only water flowing past the screen?
    No, as the power head is fed with a venturi intake, like on a skimmer
    So it'll see both water flow and air at the same time, and you can even make it a sealed, just a couple of nylon bolts to remove the top for cleaning the grown algae.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information