+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The new Upflow Algae Scrubber (UAS)

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    No, as the power head is fed with a venturi intake, like on a skimmer
    So it'll see both water flow and air at the same time, and you can even make it a sealed, just a couple of nylon bolts to remove the top for cleaning the grown algae.
    I think I can picture it...so u have a stationnary screen in a plexi box, with a water/air current flowing past it from the bottom up....or from the top down as in the previous scrubber models...

Im guessing it could even be horizontal... aesthetically speaking, minimal profile...something like this perhaps?

Click image for larger version

Name:	jason model.jpg
Views:	752
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	2205

the box would need to constantly be filled with water I guess...

Almost spot on !

I'm pretty bad at drawings, so.....

And the circulation will be bottom > top

ok, so here is bad drawing of it...

Name:	idea 1.jpg
Views:	995
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	2206

But put a water tight lid with nylon screws and seal + leds on the out side.

Water + air (venturi on a PH) comes from bottom, the screen is in the middle, and water exits from the top drain.
    It's complete water tight and can be set up anywhere, and any size you want.

ok, so here is bad drawing of it...

Attachment 2206

But put a water tight lid with nylon screws and seal + leds on the out side.

Water + air (venturi on a PH) comes from bottom, the screen is in the middle, and water exits from the top drain.
    It's complete water tight and can be set up anywhere, and any size you want.
    OKK I read u now

there would be head pressure to consider for the PH...also whats the diff between bottom --> top vrs. top to bottom flow (sorry if I missed anything in previous discussions)...

a final Q: the box would be permanently filled with water?

Okay, is this what we were waiting on for May 1? Is there anything else to expect to come out tomorrow?

This is great! Do you clean this in the same way as the old ats? (with tap water and everything?)

so with water flowing from bottom to top, I guess we would have something like this

Name:	jason model2.jpg
Views:	852
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	2207

of course lights would be hitting the flat ends of the screen but I drew them like this to show positioning on both sides...

what I need is an in-sump system as I don't want anything above the tank...or anywhere for that matter...with 3 boys in the house (10, 7 and 4yrs old) I dont want to leave anything exposed...plus I would like to have as much of the equipment needed (heater etc) down bellow..

having the design in the pic above would mean I would have to immerse the lights and at this point I cannot consider this option...unless I find immersible lights but then it would be an issue of getting the correct power etc etc...

I dont want to leave anything exposed...plus I would like to have as much of the equipment needed (heater etc) down bellow..
    you just leave this sitting directly on top of the powerhead, and if the scrubber "fixture" is above the sump no need for real waterproof lights no ?

Banned
    I would think you would have to weigh down the bottom edge of the screen or else it will never stay vertical. This is why zip-tieing it to the airstone is shown.

you just leave this sitting directly on top of the powerhead, and if the scrubber "fixture" is above the sump no need for real waterproof lights no ?
    was looking for the bulb smiley... I believe Eurka is the word (except in this case it would be euriko or whatever conjugation ... my latin was always kinda scrappy)

it would be the same as the old SM design, fed from the sump and returning to the sump...only change is the screen attachement, no slot needed and the injection of air with the water via the venturi hookup...correct?

sounds like it !

And i would even add some kind of wight at the screen bottom to keep it vertical

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information