+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The new Upflow Algae Scrubber (UAS)

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
    I would think you would have to weigh down the bottom edge of the screen or else it will never stay vertical. This is why zip-tieing it to the airstone is shown.
    yep Floyd...I think attaching the screen to both top part and the stone would guarantee a straight screen without any bends or flexing...

I think attaching the screen to both top part and the stone would guarantee a straight screen without any bends or flexing...
    In the design we're talking about there is no more stone, just a tube with holes in it, like a spray bar.

Or did i miss something ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    In the design we're talking about there is no more stone, just a tube with holes in it, like a spray bar.

Or did i miss something ?

in your design, there is no need for stone but the screen would need to be attached on both ends to prevent flexing I guess..Id be curious to see how the algae would be growing on this though...against the water flow or with it and against gravity??? i mean u have water+air flowing upwards, rubbing against the screen...

the stone attachment would be in a setup similar to the one in my previous drawing....

ouch my head hurts I need a drink and sleep I guess

Jason did you try the method we are discussing or is it only in theory ??

I guess the upflow is for the bubbles, they usually go up in water

And maybe, really maybe, it'll help the algae strands from collapsing and thus giving more light and "food" to the roots (if they have any, and i dout about it)

Banned
    I didn't see the second page going when I wrote that...

All great ideas but I have a feeling after a year of working on various designs, you're going to see these ideas released in a few months. Doesn't mean you can't build one now.

FYI this is my build and you'll probably be seeing a thread on it soon

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00399.jpg
Views:	1800
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	2208

Name:	DSC00396.jpg
Views:	1517
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	2209

Name:	DSC00382.jpg
Views:	1392
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	2210

Jason did you try the method we are discussing or is it only in theory ??
    I don't have my reef tank setup yet, still missing some stuff to finish it (quite an investment).
    So it's all by deduction and theory, and usually i am good at mecanical flow stuff (part of my job as well, having equipment running @ 7000psi and >400 degF)

Floyd

this is using the "new" design? what screen size do you have on that?

speaking of build threads, I should take pics and upload them into my journal I guess...sump was finished on Saturday...its drying up right now...waiting for the stand to be completed etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
    I didn't see the second page going when I wrote that...

All great ideas but I have a feeling after a year of working on various designs, you're going to see these ideas released in a few months. Doesn't mean you can't build one now.

FYI this is my build and you'll probably be seeing a thread on it soon

Attachment 2208

Attachment 2209

Attachment 2210

So this is more or less what i was talking about, but i'll have the flow bottom up, and sealed, driven by a pump + venturi for bubbles

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    I don't have my reef tank setup yet, still missing some stuff to finish it (quite an investment).
    So it's all by deduction and theory, and usually i am good at mecanical flow stuff (part of my job as well, having equipment running @ 7000psi and >400 degF)

Im moving into SW after some time on FW setups myself...the whole ATS was the catalyst as it proposed a cheaper alternative solution...

over here, a simple sump runs at around 1200 US$...skimmers start at 150$ and can reach 800$...a decent reef ready tank would be between 1000 and 2500 US$... then u have the different reactors etc...LR goes at around 10$ per kilo...then u have the corals and the fish...

I tell you by the time you are done, your investment would have reached somewhere around 5 or 6k... so the ability to DIY and the simplicity of the whole deal was what attracted me in the first place...plus the reduction in maintenance and stuff to worry about...but I am going off into tangents...back to topic

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information