+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The new Upflow Algae Scrubber (UAS)

Banned
    on mine, the screen drifted in the box so it's literally right against the acrylic with the LEDs 1" or less away. No difference in growth between the sides. After the screen starts, it's looking like you can put the lights as close as you want which is very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
    on mine, the screen drifted in the box so it's literally right against the acrylic with the LEDs 1" or less away. No difference in growth between the sides. After the screen starts, it's looking like you can put the lights as close as you want which is very interesting.
    what about having around 20cm distance from the light? in a previous post I was thinking of placing the UAS on the sump dividers and let it dangle in the water in the middle chamber of the sump...lights would have to be at both sides of the sump as per the drawing :

Click image for larger version

Name:	screen in middle chamber with lights on side.jpg
Views:	890
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	2226 (this is a top view of my sump)

does anyone think it would be an issue? I guess lighting power would have to be increased....so the watt per sq in rule might need to be adapted a little??

Quote Originally Posted by Othello View Post
    what about having around 20cm distance from the light? in a previous post I was thinking of placing the UAS on the sump dividers and let it dangle in the water in the middle chamber of the sump...lights would have to be at both sides of the sump as per the drawing :

Attachment 2226 (this is a top view of my sump)

does anyone think it would be an issue? I guess lighting power would have to be increased....so the watt per sq in rule might need to be adapted a little??
    I found this table on another site (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/li...-t12-pc-2.html)

Click image for larger version

Name:	LightIntensity-1.jpg
Views:	1013
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	2230

I will try to use this to work out the best lighting distance....algae experts out there, is it safe to assume that algae and plants share the same lighting needs?

You try and tell us
    Unfortunately no LEDs on this chart.

Administrator
    The biggest variable is probably the spreading of the light without reflectors; not the amount of water it has to go though. If you used lenses it might help. Just make it change-able. Also, covering as much surface with reflectors as possible, including the top, would help.

just a thought... but look at the light reflecting on the top of the water....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yv4G6...feature=relmfu

maybe these could be custom made

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Aquarium-...item256f674dd6

sorry should of added this one too..

Banned
    hey guys quick question... obviously the easiest way to do this while we wait for the prettier ones is to do a one sided screen right.. so double the streen area. double the watts on one side.. and done. you have the same size scrubber as before.. am I right?

That sounds logical!

Quote Originally Posted by dtyharry View Post
    That sounds logical!
    i think there is an issue with single sided screens and roots not beibg abke to attach furmly enough. at least this is what I understood ...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information