+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The new Upflow Algae Scrubber (UAS)

Banned
    You will probably find you don't need to expose the screen at all. I had a mandarin for 5 years. If you have a supply, ie an algal screen, the pods will proliferate and survive in your rocks for long enough to feed this beautiful fish. A supply of fresh pods to the display is the key. Considering your on an algae site, your probably gonna be ok.

Welcome here

As stated before, I like your designs very much. Well though off and I think will perform..Too add a lid seems like a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
    I was thinking of an all-mandarin tank. Otherwise the other fish will eat the algae, like my tetra who has found a home there.
    Yeah I was thinking a pair of blue mandarins or lsd mandarins and a couple of pretty inverts.

Quote Originally Posted by MorganAtlanta View Post
    #1 may not need the pump since the current generated by the airstone should circulate water. That's pretty much the design I'm going to try, when I get the time...
    You might want to put a lid on the designs to control salt creep. All those bursting bubbles will create a mess if there is no top.
    I left that out of the rendering Also a small hole in that lid should reduce the noise of the bubble a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Garf View Post
    You will probably find you don't need to expose the screen at all. I had a mandarin for 5 years. If you have a supply, ie an algal screen, the pods will proliferate and survive in your rocks for long enough to feed this beautiful fish. A supply of fresh pods to the display is the key. Considering your on an algae site, your probably gonna be ok.
    What do you mean with an algae site?

Jb

Banned
    This site, ie an "algae site" obviously has people interested in algae scrubbers. Algae scrubbers are a haven for juvenile copepods, these then get dispersed throughout the system to feed delicate eaters like mandarin.

I let my screens set in my 10G before I clean them because I have a mandarin in that tank that is fat an happy now. Nice designs to, I made a HOB but am battling the bubbles, I like your way of sorting out the bubbles, I was going to put mine in a sump with baffles.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

Exactly! Had not noticed your topic. It seems that this would enhance the growth of algae.
    Sorry for the spelling, but I use Google translator.

Quote Originally Posted by jaczal View Post
    And why not give air to the water flowing from the top of the screen. I just plugged pomke - so far without dice aerators - and the effect is great. Water flows down the screen foamed.
    And this is my box, screen and lighting - LED current on the tapes smd5060. The whole works without problems for almost 1.5 years.
    https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink
    How are those leds working for you? I was only able to find 630nm leds like that...
    For my design a slim light fixture is essential.

Jb

@jbowser I am white 3000K. Also, I can not buy 660nm. I did tests with red tape (630nm) and blue (430nm), but were not satisfactory. I used the tape because of the simplicity of the structure. Lighting panel located in the depths of my 15mm. A box thus has a width of 110mm.

Quote Originally Posted by jaczal View Post
    @jbowser I am white 3000K. Also, I can not buy 660nm. I did tests with red tape (630nm) and blue (430nm), but were not satisfactory. I used the tape because of the simplicity of the structure. Lighting panel located in the depths of my 15mm. A box thus has a width of 110mm.
    So how many leds are you using and how big is your screen? I guess these leds have a few advantages over hp leds, although its a shame they don't have more wavelengths...

Jb

300 LED Strip, 150 per page. Two 170mm on 90mm screens. Yes, the basic advantage is simplicity of design lighting panel and requires no heat sinks.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information